Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I upated my Spectra XT Touchsmart to Win 10 on the last day that it was available for free. All was well for awhile. One day it worked the next it didn't. I managed to reinstall Windows with a Media Creation Tool. Everything worked fine again until two days ago. I got the following:

"Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. The Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information.

File:\BCD 

Error Code: 0xc0000034

You will need to use recovery tools....

Press ESC for UEFI firmware settings"

I had made a Recovery USB. The computer does not load it. It does not load the Media Creation Tool either.  When I press ESC I get all the "F" options. But after looking at all those, it just reverts back to the original message.

Any help or suggestions?

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hello,

Welcome to the HP Support forum. Thank you for posting.

This issue happened because either some BIOS setting is wrong or most likely the Windows BCD is corrupted/missing.

There are several things you may try and I will post you how to.

First, please :

- let me know which operating system you prefer to have - Windows 10 or the previous one (e.g. 8.1) ?

- could you post your full product model - instructions here > http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Second,

Please, perform some basic hardware checks

1. Please, shutdown the computer using the power button

2. Power it on.

2.1 As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap).

This should open a HP Startup Menu which may look similar to this one

3. Choose F2 to open System Diagnostics. Follow the on-screen instructions to perform System Test >> Quick test.

This will check major hardware componets for issue (do it just in case) . Here is more info >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467259#AbT1

If there are no system checks/no quick tests, perform HDD and RAM check.

Let me know the test results. If the tests pass without issues, continue. If not, please, let me know

4. Repeat steps 1-2 above but when HP Startup menu opens, please choose F10 to enter BIOS setup

Please, navigate through the menus to reset the BIOS settings to default settings.  Save and exit the BIOS.

If the issue is resolved now and if the PC can boot, ok. 

- If not, please proceed.

You can directly download Windows 10 ISO from MS site or download Media creation tool from Microsoft site, create installation DVD or installation USB  and  proceed with repair options.

>> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Please, re-create your media tool.

When ready with the USB drive or with the DVD:

Eventually, please, shutdown the computer using the power button.

Insert the Windows USB thumdrive or the DVD prepared previously

Power  on the PC.

As soon as you press the power-on button, keep hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap).

This should open a HP Startup Menu .

Choose F9 to open Boot options. Select the thumb drive or the DVD as boot option.

Follow the on-screen instructions to boot from the media. Instead of installing Window, choose to Repair the installation.

Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.
Select Troubleshoot from Choose an option screen.
Click Advanced options in Troubleshoot screen.
Click on command Prompt.
Type these following commands and hit [ENTER] after each line of command:

• Bootrec /fixmbr
  • Bootrec /fixboot
  • Bootrec /scanos
  • Bootrec /rebuildbcd

When ready, type exit  and hit [ENTER]

Restart the PC.

Reference instructions > https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-update/error-code-0xc0000034-in-windows-...

> https://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/46965-windows-8-missing-file-bcd-error-code-0xc0...

Summary:

- Provide PC information and prefered Windows

- Provide hardware test results

- Recreate Windows installation media and boot from it

- Perform BCD/MBR repair steps

Please, let me know how it goes.

Do not hesitate to post again if you face difficulties and provide feedback.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Thank you for responding. I'm using Windows 10.  After I get the Error Code it tells me to press ESC and it takes me to UEFI settings. I have run the systems tests but I will do it again and get back to you.

HP Recommended

Hello again,

I can only do F1. The tests showed everything to be ok. It will not let me choose F2 which is the BIOS. Through F1 there is a BIOS Maintenance with BIOS Update and BIOS Rollback. It would not rollback. I have not tried the update yet. It has two choices: -Sata (0x1,0x8000,ox1) Drive Partition 2 or ESD-USB-USB drive. Which would be appropriate? I was thinking the USB so it would boot from the USB flash drive.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for following the instructions.

If the hardware tests passed, this is a good news - the hardware is OK.

Yes, choose the USB option to boot from the USB device and follow the latest steps from the above instructions to attempt the BCD fixes.

Let me know how it goes.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Thank you for all your help. I will try again and let you know what happens. Good luck to me.

HP Recommended

Well I tried deferring to the USB drive from the BIOS Management tool. Nothing. It sees the USB drive but won't let me access it.

I don't know what else to do. Unless you have any other suggestions, I guess I'll have to go to a computer repair shop. I'm not looking forward to that.

Thank you for your assistance.

HP Recommended

By writing " deferring to the USB drive "  , did you mean to say that you did format the USB device and redownloaed Windows 10 ISO/image on it based on my instructions above:

You can directly download Windows 10 ISO from MS site or download Media creation tool from Microsoft site, create installation DVD or installation USB  and  proceed with repair options.

>> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Please, re-create your media tool using the Microsoft one or by using Rufus software.

How to create bootable ISO on USB device >> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

or

How to write ISO to DVD >> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/burn-a-dvd-on-windows

Additionally, you may try with a DVD with burned W10 ISO on it or with another USB pen drive.

HP Recommended

When I turn on the machine, the message that was in my original post, comes on. I can only access F1 and F2.  F2 brings-up the Hardware Diagnostics UEFI. One of the options is "BIOS" Management". Then there are two options: BIOS Update and BIOS Rollback. I tried both. Neither will allow the computer to boot from a USB stick. The stick has the Media Creation Tool which I downloaded from Microsoft on my desktop computer. My laptop does not have a DVD drive so  a disk is useless.

I have not tried creating an ISO file. I figured if it didn't recognize the USB with the Media Creation Tool it would't recognize any USB device. I will try that; maybe I was wrong.

Thanks again. I'll keep you informed.

HP Recommended

I'm at a loss. When I go to the Ubuntu site, do I download it to my desktop or the USB stick? When I downloaded Rufus it refers to finding the ISO file but it is not on my computer. I don't want to seem ignorant but I don't want to have problems with my desktop by downloading a program that will alter it.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.