Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@Elisha2

Hi,

I'm back. 🙂

I read your previous post and understand that you play a game called Lineage 2 and the main buttons are F1-F12. 

We could try to uninstall the keyboard drivers and then restart the laptop. Windows will restart the keyboard drivers automatically during the restart.

Please open the device manager, expand keyboards. Right click on the driver listed under the keyboard and select Uninstall. Please restart the laptop. 

Hope this helps. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hey MKazi,

I did this but again it didn't fix my problem.

HP Recommended

@Elisha2

Thanks for your reply. I request for some to research on this issue and will reply in the next couple of days.

Till then thanks for your patience. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

@Elisha2

Hi, 

I have a suggestion here in continuation to our troubleshooting. Please try to perform a BIOS rollback and check if that helps.

Let me know the results. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

@MKazi wrote:

@Elisha2

Hi, 

I have a suggestion here in continuation to our troubleshooting. Please try to perform a BIOS rollback and check if that helps.

Let me know the results. Cheers! 🙂

Hey MKazi, 

I have never done BIOS update in my life. Why should I rollback it ?

Are you sure this is going to fix my problem ? 

HP Recommended

I reviewed the post comprehensively, a brilliant effort, great resolve and persistence to try and correct the situation. Does the FN key not work with only one game or it stops working in other applications also. Kudos to you for a job brilliantly done. 🙂 I am amazed by your technical skills.

Please try these steps.

• First, open apps like word and excel and test all the Function keys. If they work fine, 
  • Please try different games and check if the FN keys in the games work fine.
  • If the Lineage 2 game is an offline game, please uninstall it and reinstall the game and check again.
  • If it is an online game, reset the browser and check again.
  • Otherwise, try with a different Browser.
  • Also, check the Help feature of the game and change the keyboard shortcut controls in the game-play.
  • Finally, create a new user account and check if the game plays fine.
  • Also if you have issues with other apps like word and excel where the FN keys still do not work,
  • Please perform a Push button reset (refresh) to reinstall the operating system from this link by clicking here This will not cause you to lose data. It just reinstalls the operating system.
  • Please update the bios and chipset drivers from this link:http://hp.com/drivers and follow the on-screen instructions.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello David,

Thank you for your answer.

The FN key was not working for a few days and last night I checked again and it was working. I don't understand what caused it to start working again... I tried to not play Lineage 2 for a few days but the FN key was still not working when I checked... Yesterday I played Lineage 2 then I closed it and started browsing and at some random moment I tested again the FN and it was working... really strange.. I didn't perform anything special than the usual stuff...7

Lineage 2 is an online MMORPG, it's not browser game.

Lineage 2 keys cannot be remapped.. There is no such setting ingame to do that.

Last night I opened a few apps (Word, Excel, Photoshop) and FN was not working

I tried to perform a Push button reset but the dialog box asks me to remove all my installed programs,drivers.. everything

I do not want this to happen, so I didn't perform the reset.

I updated the BIOS and the FN key still doesn't work.

UPDATE: Is there any way to test if FN button is working ? I tried to open On-screen Keyboard and I was able to test ctrl, alt, win key, shift, caps lock, num lock, scroll lock but not FN key... FN exists on the On-Screen Keyboard and it is the only one that doesn't respond to pressing... 

My laptop is still in warranty, I think that FN button is broken and it needs to be replaced...

HP Recommended

Hi @Elisha2,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. Please try all the prescribed steps from my previous post. If you've done it already great. You've done some terrific troubleshooting and shown great resilience to try and correct the issue. hats off to you for that. 🙂

If you've tried everything, please contact Hp phone support to get the computer's keyboard replaced. 

Link to contact HP phone support:http://hp.com/contacthp please select the country and follow the on-screen instructions.

You've been simply fabulous to work with, considering your technical expertise. It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂 Trust me, I've done all I can to assist you, by keeping your best interest in mind. 

I honestly hope the issue is resolved and the computer works great and stays healthy for a long time to come. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

You take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Elisha2

I'm replying to a previous post of mine where I had suggested you to perform a BIOS rollback. The BIOS rollback will help to re-write the original BIOS file in case it is corrupt. Even if you haven't updated the BIOS then this will help you to fix the existing BIOS on your computer.

Cheers! 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.