Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP 630 notebook that is no longer under warranty.  Its been working fine until out of the blue it failed to turn on.  When powered up the caps led blinks 2x then pauses and repeats this pattern, the screen is blank, the CPU fan spins up but otherwise nothing happens.

I've scoured the web to find a way to restore the bios, but all the information on the hp websites assume I can boot up, which I can't.  I've tried to load the bios onto a USB drive as was described here:

http://www.fclose.com/b/software/3022/hp-compaq-bios-crisis-recovery-from-a-failed-bios-flashing/

and a few other places had similar (but I seemed to have closed the windows).  One of such was found in this hp support forum suggesting similar.  The problem I'm having is I can't get the BIOS to load onto the USB flash drive.  The UEFI and various support programs seem to install to the USB flash drive fine, formatting it and making the appropriate directories/files.  But when I run the bios executable (which I get from: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=5086787&...), all I get is an error, and nothing is copied to the flash drive.

Booting the notebook with the flash drive in while holding windows key + B does nothing, whether that is because the flash drive is missing files or because I am doing something incorrect I am unsure.

At this point I am unsure as to what to do next.  Any suggestions?

Thank-you for your time in advance.

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

Hello Kaisha,

You’re not able to boot the computer and you are getting a blink code that the BIOS is corrupted.

Here is a link that will walk you through the step to roll back your BIOS to a previous version.

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

HP Recommended

I appreciate the link (and its sad that no amount of scouring google or the HP website yielded that for me, they really need to fix that).  Unfortunatly it failed to work.

HP Recommended

Kaisha,

Re seat the memory, sometimes this will correct the error.

This could be one of the cases that the board is bad and you may need to have it repaired.

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

HP Recommended

It seems that we still have it under warranty through VISA, so were going to go through that route.  Thanks for the replies anyways.

HP Recommended

Find the "HP Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) Support Environment" for your laptop model from the HP website.  (sp61101.exe)

1. Execute this under windows and create a HP_TOOLS UEFI boot usb stick.
  2. Obtain the latest BIOS update for your laptop (unpack  .exe file with 7zip,  need files like  0367x.fd)
  3. Run phoenixtool on the bios you wish to recover.
    - If you have multiple .fd files, pick the one with the number closest to the number  (example Rev: 3672-100)
  4. You will get two files from phoenixtool...
    - RSA.SIG
    - <BIOS>.fd.DEC
  5. Place both of these files on the usb stick at Hewlett-Packard/Bios/Current
    - RSA.SIG -> <BIOS>.SIG
    - <BIOS>.fd.DEC -> <BIOS>.BIN
    For example:
    - 03672.fd.DEC -> 03672.BIN
    - RSA.SIG -> 03672.SIG
  6. Shut down your laptop, plug the USB stick, hold win + B and power on. (I removed HDD for safety 🙂
  7. Wait for the system bios to flash.

I make copy of my usb flash with worked bios files for my HP 630 (03672).  Label for usb flash must be: HP_TOOLS

http://sdrv.ms/ZaJEFm

HP Recommended

@Rus2Lan   Thank You.  Your the best! Your uploaded files work on my HP630 great.

HP Recommended

the laptop is not coming up just blinking twice. How do i run the phoenixtool and all those steps u mentioned when the laptop is not even coming up?

HP Recommended
I don't belive, that you don't have any frends with notebook and flash 😉
HP Recommended

@Rus2lan

i have a system + a flash. but don't know how to go about it. pls help out.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.