cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Limmynis
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Forgotten local account password

HP Recommended
HP Stream x360 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have forgotten my password for my local account to login to Windows 10. I have tried to reset but every time I am told there is not enough disk space to continue. Because I cannot login I cannot change the free disk space on the device. I have also tried to reboot to recovery drive but keep getting error message. Help - I cannot access my PC at all.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
30,545 30,452 2,785 6,725
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Limmynis

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Hey, I understand ... You make a password "strong enough" to protect your PC, you also make it hard to remember!

But, do not despair. If you have access to a working PC and are willing to do a little work you may be able to reset your password.

The reset tool is the Trinity Rescue Kit, and can be found here: http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.php?content=TRINITY_RESCUE_KIT_DOWNLOAD

Once you have the downloaded file, you have a choice of media to create:
1) If you can boot from CD, download and install ImgBurn and use the Write Image to Disk option to create a bootable CD.
2) If you can boot from USB, download and install RUFUS and use the option to create a bootable USB stick from the ISO file.

Once you have the media created, you can read this post for information on how to use it: https://www.lifewire.com/free-windows-password-recovery-tools-2626179

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Limmynis
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have tried what you suggested and have created both bootable CD and USB. I get Trinity Rescue kit to start from the bootable CD but after the first menu I continue to get an error : "Trying to find TRK on your 0 CD-drive(s)  Seems we didn't find the TRK medium  Manually enter the device on which TRK can be found (e.g. 'sda1')

I cannot get past this point to get anything to work.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation