Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi  :generic:

My laptop (HP G61-110SA), which is now out of warranty, took a very slight knock and now it wont start up properly :Crying:

It starts but just goes through to a screen with 2 options: "Launch StartupRepair (recommended)" or "Start Windows Normally" (which just goes through to a blue windows screen and doesn't progress further).   If "Launch Startup Repair" is selected, it goes through a series of "HP Recovery  Manager" screens but only allows me to select one option - "Open a Command Prompt" which is useless to me as I don't know what command to type!

I have run the Diagnostic tests and have the following results:

Hard Disk Smart - Pass

Memory Test - Pass 

Hard Disk 1 Full (305)

Hard Disk 1 Quick (303)

Does this mean I definitely need a new Hard Drive or is there anything else I can do? (there are no strange noises from the laptop when it is on).

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

:smileyembarrassed:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The error codes are for the short and full Disk Self Test and would definitely indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.  This is also consistent with the start-up issue.

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced - you can check your warranty status Here.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hi,

The error codes are for the short and full Disk Self Test and would definitely indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.  This is also consistent with the start-up issue.

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced - you can check your warranty status Here.

If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks for your quick & helpful reply.

It is out of warranty & I would be very grateful for advice on changing the hard drive.

Thanks again

Marie

HP Recommended

Hi Marie,

You're welcome Smiley Happy

The drive on the link below is an example of one that would be fine for your notebook.

500Gb Hard Drive

The procedure to replace the Hard Drive starts on Page 53 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Once done, simply use your Recovery DVDs to reinstall the Operating System on the new drive - the procedure is described Here.

If you don't have your Recovery Discs, you can order a replacement set using the link below.

Order HP Recovery Discs.

If you have any problem with this link, order them directly from HP.

Best regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thats fantastic - thank you very much :generic:

HP Recommended

Hi Marie,

You're welcome and glad it helped :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

:generic:  OK, I have a new hard drive but haven't got the recovery discs (something I neglected to do when I got the computer - :HalfEyes: ) and I thought I would be able to get them from my external hard drive back up, but of course can't load that until I can access the computer ( and to do this I need the recovery software). 

I have checked with HP & I can get the discs ordered but I was wondering if there is somewhere on there that I can download them and create a set of discs via another computer to save waiting for delivery?  I have looked on the HP site but can't seem to find this facility - only to order the discs and wait for them to arrive.....I'm a little impatient & want to get my laptop up and running asap! :smileyembarrassed:

HP Recommended

........also...:smileyfrustrated:

I have my external backup plugged into another computer and can access the "WindowsImageBackup" .VHD files from there - if I put these onto a disc, will this createthe operating/recovery disc I need?

OR

My mum has the same computer (bought them at the same time - same model etc) - she has back up discs.  Can I use hers or will that not work/not allowed?

Thanks

Marie :smileyembarrassed:

HP Recommended

Hi Marie,

I think you should be able to use either option you mention.

1.  If you wish to restore the Back-up Image you have, try the following procedure.

If you don't already have one, use another PC to create a Windows 7 Rescue CD.  Download the relevant ISO from the links below.

Windows 7 32bit

Windows 7 64bit

You should use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO to a CD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.  Once created, or if you already have this, insert the CD into the notebook and restart to boot from it.  Select the Repair option.

Now follow the guide on the following link starting at Method 3 to restore the Image to the new HDD.

http://www.shivaranjan.com/2009/05/21/windows-7-how-to-restore-windows-7-partition-or-hard-disk-part...

2.  If for any reason this does not work, as long as your Mums notebook is the exact same Model and operating system as yours, her Recovery Discs should work for your notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have a simular problem.  I am getting the same error, however no drop occured.  Is there any chance of recovering some of the data on the hard disk?

Thank You,

Keith

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.