Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
G7-2017CL
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
I've had my G7 for quite awhile and when I tried to do a factory restore it would get to 20% and shut down or 10% shut down or even when I turn it on a few seconds it would shut down on it's on it randomly all of a sudden states to shut off on it's own and was working fine yesterday. I've tried taking battery out and just using it plugged in still get same issue tried with just the battery still same issue shutting Down on its own .....
Please help
14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Is it overheating, and automatically shutting-down when the CPU gets too hot?

After it shuts-off, flip it over, and feel the temperature of the bottom -- it may vary, in different places.

When it is running, can you feel hot air coming out of the exhaust vents?

If so, then the fan inside the computer is working fine.

If not, then the fan inside the computer could have failed.

HP Recommended
I feel hot air coming out and it gets hot to a certain point then shuts off, then when I try to turn it back on it shuts off even sooner each time I turn it on. I can never get it to stay on I have even tried the ice pack trick and it didn't work either
HP Recommended

> I feel hot air coming out and it gets hot to a certain point then shuts off, then when I try to turn it back on it shuts off even sooner each time I turn it on.

Those are the symptoms of overheating.

Turn off your laptop, and let it cool completely down.

On another computer, do a Google-search for "download free SPECCY".

Download SPECCY to a USB memory-stick.

Start-up the laptop.

Connect the USB memory-stick, and install SPECCY.

Run it.

It should show the temperatures:

* disk-drive

* CPU

* motherboard

and the speed of the fan.

Check that the fan is not showing "zero".

Tell us what you see.

I  think that it is time to take your laptop to a qualified computer technician, for professional trouble-shooting, and a general disassembly & dust-removal.

How old is the computer?  Any hair-shredding pets in the house?

HP Recommended
Can't install anything because I was doing a recovery and that's when it shut down for the first time I can't get back to windows cause it shuts down..we have two cats one sheds but we clean often..it's just weird it worked prior to me doing the hp recovery system reset fan was hot but it never shut off the computer and now it does
HP Recommended
I did take my lab too apart and cleaned my fan thoroughly and when I put it back together (no loose parts lol) now when I turn it on it beeps like a key is stuck and I have no display now...ahhhhhh lol help
HP Recommended

> no loose parts

Huh?  Are you sure that something did not get properly reconnected? Pinched ribbon cable? Improperly seated RAM?

> > I did take my lab too apart ...

Did you say that you are taking me to a park:generic:

... signed, the golden lab two    :Wink:

HP Recommended
I will double check today and make sure everything is reconnected lol but I'm sure it is but could be wrong and will let you know..and yes I would take your lab for a walk what a cute dog
HP Recommended
Okay made sure everything was put together correctly and now it doesn't beep and finally have a screen display even though I cleaned the heck out of the fan to a certain degree it still shuts off but not as quickly fans still blowing out hot air...the only difference is whenever I try to go into restore system it stopped at 20% the first time and comp shut off, second time it says windows starting and windows loading files then shuts off
HP Recommended

Any CPU generates heat when it is working.

On top of the CPU should be is a layer of "heat-paste" -- designed to completely fill the space between the "heat-pipe" (a chunk of heat-transferring copper) and the CPU, to allow the heat to transfer from the CPU to the heat-pipe.

When you had the computer disassembled, did you disconnect the heat-pipe from its position on top of the CPU?

If you did, "best practises" say that you should have cleaned-off all the old heat-paste from the heat-pipe and the top of the CPU, and put down a new layer of heat-paste, as part of the re-assembling.

The purpose of the heat-pipe is to transmit the heat to a "radiator" (just like in your automobile), so that the fan can suck in room-temperature air, push it through the radiator, and push out the heated air through the exhaust-vents in your computer.

So, if there is "old" heat-paste, then the CPU retains some of the heat, until it overheats, and protects itself by shutting-down when it is "too hot".

I hope this helps.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.