Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp dv4 1506tx
Linux

I am looking for an HDD caddy to replace my optical drive. But the connector in the optical drive doest have a SATA connecot. Instead it has some thing like this in the image. Is there any way to replace it with a HDD caddy so that I can have a second hard disk. Please help.

hp-spshdd-b.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You cannot use the same caddy for a hard drive. The SATA connector for an optical drive is smaller than the SATA connector for a hard drive. As I said that black connector piece across the back of your caddy has a plug on the back side that goes into the mini-SATA on the back of an optical drive. The other side has those weird connector things. It comes off if you remove the screws holding it on.

An optical to HDD adapter has a mini-SATA like an optical drive on the outside and then a bay on the inside that has a hard drive sized adapter. Like this. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817997048&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KN...

Just take that black thing off the back of your optical drive caddy and place it across the back of this adapter linked above or one like it. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

What is that in the picture? This is what the optical drive shown in the Manual looks like:

I have worked on a lot of HP laptops and never seen anything like in that picture. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

This is my optical drive i have attached the image of the same, It doesnt have a sata connector instead it has some proprietary connector by hp i think.

I would like to replace it with a second HDD drive. Is it possible ?

Untitled.jpg

HP Recommended
@johnygmalayil

Are you able to successfully reinstall the OD back to optical drive bay and play any discs eg. movies.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

Your optical drive has a SATA connector; it is just covered by that black plastic thing at the back of the drive. Under it you will find a SATA connector. If you get any standard OSD to HDD adapter caddy you can slap that same black plastic thing on the back if it. I still say that does not look like any HP laptop I have ever taken apart nor does it look like the optical drive shown in the Maintenance Manual for your model but I have seen similar things on other brand laptops and that back plastic piece with the weird connectors bolts onto the rear of the ODD caddy and connects to a standard ODD-type mini-SATA port on the drive itself. 

And just to be clear, the first picture you posted shows a hard drive and the second set of pictures you posted shows an optical drive. See how the labels are in a different place?

HP Recommended

Yes..Its just plug and play. I am able to put it back and use the drive.

Even while the laptop is working , I can plug n play that.

HP Recommended
@Huffer

Then it's a new one for me. Really weird interface. They could have simply put SATA interface exposed, why complicating things? Any specific use with this kind of interface?

HP Recommended

Yes. My optical drive might be having a sata connector inside but the other end, that is the outside end has only this pin as shown in the image. I even checked the slot inside the laptop , its not a sata port instead its like the one in the image.

So if I buy a standard OSD to HDD adapter caddy it might not work because the outside connector is this small one.

Its an HP Pavillion DV4 1506TX laptop.  You can see the part number and other details with this image.

The first picture that I posted is one I got from internet, the second image is the one of my laptop. Both are the same.

IMG_20150313_202516.jpg

HP Recommended

I have no idea. The optical drive comes out while sliding a button underneath the laptop and I can put it back buy just pressing it in. Even while the laptop is running I can do both of this.

HP Recommended

This link shows a similar device like mine, both has the same interface.

Mine is also a light scribe optical drive. Is it because of that this particular interface ?

http://shop.rightclickus.com/SPS-482177-001-HP-Pavilion-DV4-DVD-Multi-Recorder-W-LightScribe-SPS-482...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.