cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Zapan
6 3 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

HP 2013 Ultraslim Docking Station DisplayPort (DP) Hub Firmware -> Linux

HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 9470m
Linux

Hi 

I own a Elitbook Folio 9470m and a 2013 Ultraslim Docking Station.

On the Elitebook I run Linux (Mint 18).

The Dockingstatioin never showed the BIOS/UEFI output on the Screen. (Screen stays black until OS loads. I found an article saying this is a known problem for some Notebooks and the solution is to update the BIOS. I am already on the newest BIOS-version and the Problem Persists. This is ther article I found: http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5450893&docLocale=de_DE&docId=emr_na-c05... but it does not mention the Folio 9470m as a model that suffers this problem)

Since I use a Harddrive Password this is annoying, because I have to type the password without corresponding screen output and cannot enter the UEFI while the Laptop is docked.

I recently found out that there is an update for the Dockingstations Displayport HUB which I guess could fix my Problem. ( found here: http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5275307&swItemId=ob_147496_1&swEnvOid=415... )

Sadly this Update is only provided as an EXE file, which I cannot run on Linux (I really don't want to try a Hardware firmwareupdate over WINE).

For Bios updates for example there are other ways to perform these under linux, as for example to create a USB stick over which the Update can be done. 

Is there a Way to update the Firmware of my Dockingstation running Linux? (Other than installing Windows on my Elitebook just to perform the update, which I will not do...)

Best regards

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Zapan
Author
6 3 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Or can this be done via a virtual machine?

Best regards

0 Kudos
kelmers
Level 3
Level 3
40 40 0 8
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I see two possible options for you:

1. Remove your drive,  install a temporary drive, load a version of windows, and run the dock firmware update from this installation.
  2. Create a winPE USB and run the dock firmware from winPE.

In either case, make sure that you have the notebook docked, and a monitor plugged into the dock via DisplayPort.

I work for HP.

***If my post helped, click the purple thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation