Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
@quilava2191

I think the best thing that we can do now is wait until HP releases the HP 3D DriveGuard update. As the workaround by installing the previous updates only works for certain versions of Windows.

I spoke with a HP Tech this afternoon, Priya and she/ he remotely accessed my laptop. Even Priya is stumped as well.. The Tech ran the Autorun program (to kill auto running software) and IDR (to gather log etc. from the laptop).

Can't do much as there's no solution for the error for now. Hopefully soon.
HP Recommended

This will EFFECT HP when Custoners want to UPGRADE & JUMP TO NEW SUPPLIERS is this what it will take for HP to get it's ACT TOGETHER ???

HP Recommended
So it's a new day, any update from HP? Hello?
HP Recommended

I have heard nothing back on my tier II call. With my level of service they should call back tomorrow.  A related question. What happens to Drive Gruard 3D if we upgrade to an SSD drive? After all their are no heads to park on an SSD. Does the software see the change and disable? Or does it still have a purpose?

HP Recommended

@quilava2191

I haven't heard anything back from my report.

@Rfulton01

If you install an SSD  the OS may disable 3D Driveguard- if not just uninstall it.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

If anyone is up to trying one more trick- this has been reported working on several other threads.

Open C:\SWSetup and look for the folder where the sp extracted- should be C:\SWSetup\sp82228. Open it and look for setup.exe. Double click to run it.

HP Recommended

@CherylG

May I know on which Windows 10 version that worked? Is it version 1709 or before?

Running setup.exe file from SP82228 folder manually does not work, error message popped up after reboot. Tried it numerous times before I contacted HP Tech Support via HP Support Assistant yesterday afternoon.

HP Recommended

@Nazrae

It has worked for some after Fall Creators Update. It is very perplexing that it works on some and not on others. Someone mentioned on another thread that there are 2 exe files- one is HP setup.exe and the other is setup.exe. Setup.exe is the one he reported as working. I haven't installed the driver because I have an ssd so only can go by what others post and hopefully find everyone a solution.

I am still waiting to hear from HP about a new driver.

Edit:I downloaded and extracted sp82228 with 7Zip. I only see one setup.exe.

HP Recommended

@CherylG

I'm using a standard out-of-the-box laptop which I bought 2 years ago and is still in pristine operating condition..

HP Pavilion 15 P246TX
Processor : Intel i7-5500U @ 2.40Ghz
RAM : 8GB
Graphics :
nVidia GeForce 840M
Intel Integrated Graphics
HDD : 2.5in Toshiba MQ01ABD100

Version : 10.0.16299 (1709)
OS Arch. : 64bit

I don't think SSD would be affected as there's no moving parts.

If you have a non-SSD laptop and with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709), I think you may able to replicate it (somehow).

Edited FYI.. I looked into the SP82228 folder in SWSetup, I can only see setup.exe (aside from InstallFiles folder and HP3DDG txt file). Tried these v6.0.28.1 Rev.A (SP71811), v6.0.41.1 Rev.A (SP81920) and v6.0.44.1 Rev.A (SP82228) 2 days ago but the issue persists.

HP Recommended

@Nazrae

The loaner I am using this year is a Spectre X360 with SSD so no way to test on it. My personal laptop has a mechanical hdd but is running Windows 7.

I have reported this and HP is working on it. I/they realize it is a problem and hopefully within the week will release a new driver that works with 1709. The sp82228 was released in Oct and "should" be working with 1709 though it obviously is not for many owners.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.