Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 530 s/n CND822VYTC
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Ηi,

I have an old HP 530 Intel Core Duo T5200 1.60 GHZ - Intel 945GME chipset.

Who is the biggest processor that I could upgrade it?

Bad English, I Know 🙂

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

HP only offered the T5200 processor for the 530 notebooks, so there is no info from HP regarding how high you can go.

If you want to take a chance, below is the link to the Intel specs for the chipset your notebook has, which shows the list of compatible processors.

http://ark.intel.com/products/32281/Intel-82945GME-Graphics-and-Memory-Controller#@compatibility

I suggest if you want to try an upgrade, go with the T7600.

Here is a side by side comparison of the processor you have now, and the T7600.

http://ark.intel.com/compare/27252,27257

HP Recommended

I think T5200  was 32 bit only, thank you very much for the quick response.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you look at the side by side comparison, the T5200 is also 64 bit capable.

Look at the Instruction Set specification.

The processor differences are highlighted in yellow.

HP Recommended

Hi

Once I have upgraded my HP 530 laptop's CPU with an Intel Core 2 Duo T7400 2.16 GHz.

Observing that the system is slower than before, download and intalling the CPU Z which indicates that the CPU runs in 997.40 MXz.

What should I do to fix this?

HP Recommended

So you had the T5200 before? You are going to have to install a different processor. The T7400 is not in the Manual. It uses a faster FSB than the T5200 and I suspect there is an issue going on with the speed stepping. The motherboard just will not kick it into high speed. Even if you got that working, putting a 667 fsb processor on a 533 fsb motherboard will downclock the processor and you are seeing that. I am surprised a bit you got it to boot up. 

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for answer.

Yes, I had the T5200... But the T7600 proposed me has also 667 FSB and are listed here: http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/945GM_Express.html.

The T7400 is listed also, I am confused... Eventually, it is the T7600 proper CPU to upgrade my laptop?

HP Recommended

The T7600 was offered as a "chance", not an official for sure upgrade. I agree the T7400 is very similar so if it is not working right neither will a T7600. 

HP Recommended

Thank you.

New CPU under load go to 2.17 GHz.
The processing power is clearly better than the old processor, but is very slow.

HP Recommended

That is a horse of another color. So the processor will reach is rated speed, where you earlier implied it would not. You are still working with older hardware here and it may seem slow. Did you reload the operating system? How much RAM is in the laptop?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.