Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 15-q004tx Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey all - so I've had an 'annoying' issue that seems to similar to others, yet different.  Basically, at around 30-40% Battery Power, my laptop shuts down without ANY notification.  Thankfully, plugging it in I find the laptop has just gone into standby and I've lost nothing (great for me!), BUT it can be SERIOUSLY annoying.

I have run battery tests, ensure I've selected 'notifications', updated my computer through the HP Support Assistant, and I am still at a loss.  Does anyone else have a suggestion?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@TimBunch

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP ENVY 15-q004tx Notebook PC. I read that the laptop powers off if the battery charge reduces to 30-40%. When you plug in the charger, the laptop resumes from the standby mode. So this means that the laptop never shut down. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• IS the laptop going into a standby mode from the beginning when the battery power reduces to 30-40%?
  • Did any updates happen on the laptop after which this may have started?

Meanwhile, I did some research for this case and have some suggestions that should help:

• Open control panel>> Hardware and Sound>> Power options.

• Next, the power plan, click on change plan settings. 

• Click on change advanced settings.

• Expand "low battery action" and select "do nothing."
  • Similarly, expand "low battery level" and "critical battery level" and reduce it to 10% or less.
  • Click on Apply and OK.

This should take care of the issue. Let me know what happens. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

Good Morning , and thanks for taking the time to look into this for me.  

I ran through your suggestions, but my laptop is already set up like this.  Screen shot below.

Of course, I am HAPPY that it goes into standby - I'd lose my work otherwise.  I just wish I would be given a warning before-hand so that I could grab an electric cord and plug it in.

2017-05-30.png

HP Recommended

@TimBunch

You're most welcome. I appreciate you taking your valuable time to troubleshoot the issue. 

I suggest you to perform a BIOS update on your laptop. Please ensure that the ac adapter is plugged into the laptop during the update.

Post a successful BIOS update, you may observe the laptop's performance and if the issue persists then run a battery test as shown below:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Please initiate a test on the Battery - The Battery Test checks your system to make sure that the battery is functioning properly. It tests the battery and allows you to run calibration if needed. The Battery Check test time is 2 minutes. Battery Calibration time is 2 to 4 hours. To run the battery test and for battery information, follow the steps in Battery Test.

Let me know how it goes. Good luck! 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.