Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@kevin-t

I am experiencing this same issue. From what I can tell, the heat from the fan caused the case plastic near the left hinge to fail, resulting in a cracked case. I purchased the HP ENVY TS 15 Notebook PC in November 2013 so it is no longer under waranty, however, this issue seems to be widespread enough that I am wondering if there has been a recall on the laptop. I tried to speak with customer service but was informed that I would be charged a fee due to my laptop no longer being under waranty.

I would appreciate your assistance in resolving this issue. I know that design flaws happen , but i'm really hoping that HP decides to stand by their product and fix their mistake.

HP Recommended

@ewilde

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Kevin,

My overheating fan was a result of the hinge screw loosening causing the case to separate. And I was under warrenty when I noticed the screw was loose. I had purchased my laptop 10 months prior, so I thought the screw just needed tightening and it seemed to work. Then slowly it was loosening and screwing it back in was not holding. I started to notice little black pieces of plastic and didn't put it together that the bottom was pulling away and everytime the lid closed it wasn't aligned causing little pieces to break off. As I was out of warrenty, I kept the bottom from falling off with bullclips and never closing the lid. Then the fan would sound like it was spinning out of control and overheating was constant. The keyboard and touchpad also started failing.  I too was shocked to see the forum posts of the same issue and HP refusing to admit a design flaw.  I did find  that a few years ago, to avoid a class action suit, HP did agree to fix the hinge problem free of charge, but it was for a limited time frame.  If you were experiencing the same issue but passed that window they agreed to, sorry! They never admitted flaw or changed design. Just kept producing selling and charging then putting the blame on consumer for not properly taking care of laptop. You will eventually have to deal with HP to repair your laptop at a cost. Don't fall for their kindness and settle  - negotiate! I have never been good at talking down prices, but I was so angry I and had nothing to lose. I have backed off from my crusade, gave them a break, as it's not good to be around so much negative energy. But I will again start my letter writing and keep this issue in the eye of the public. HP is making a profit from a product  that doesn't even last a year before a hinge begins to fall apart. Good Luck!

HP Recommended

@lokoho  ...   it's funny... I backed off the same reason...  tired of getting angry all over again everyday when the notices of new posts come into my email.   Another 8 months and nothing has changed.  New users posting new examples of failing hinges EVERY SINGLE DAY.  And all still being told there is no design flaw and the cases break from their misuse of the product.

Ugh. 

Mike

HP Recommended

Follow-UP:

HP contacted me within a day or two of my original post via Forum Direct Messaging.  I provided some details to them including my direct contact info.  I was then contacted by someone from their Texas service center.  As of today (03/25) my laptop is at their center being repaired at no cost....hopefully.  My expected return date is 03/31 so we shall see when I have it back.

Those that keep calling for a recall?  This is not a safety issue (like a battery or power supply issue)...there won't be a recall.  This would be the type of thing that is an "unofficial" type of extended warranty that is handled on a case by case basis.  Remember not all of us actually have a broken hinge.  It is the mounting points of the hinge that seem to have failed on several units which is what causes the case to seperate.

I do find it annoying and disappointing that what ever it is failed, but so far HP has been very fair with me on attempting resolution of the issue.  Assuming it comes back repaired, I have no complaints at all with how HP has treated me with this issue.   We are lucky enough to have other laptops (although much olders/slower) in the house to make do while this one was gone for repair.   

HP Recommended

A few years ago,  HP without admitting a design flaw offered customers with this hinge problem free repair regardless of warrenty being current. They did this to play down the complaint and only offered repairs for less than a year. Very considerate of them. Fast forward to today, same problem exists and the repair is not free if you're no longer under warrenty. Most hinge issues Iv'e seen posted begin in about 11 months, but because it seems minor and repaired by tightening the screws. What is not obvious is it continues to separate, causing major problems with fan, touch pad and other issues .

When I called HP 2 month out of warrenty, I had a sympathetic customer service rep, who made me feel  the understood the problem. But when I mentioned I shouldn't have to pay for repair as one would expect their very expense laptop who last longer before it falls apart. With that being said, my rep begin to accuse me of not properly handling my laptop. She gave examples of walking with the lid open, applying too much pressure opening and closing lid. And when I said that this is not an isolated problem that a large number of people are experiencing the same flaw and I can't imagine all of us are incabable of taking care of our laptops. What really caused my opinion of HP as being a company with no integrity, was here reply that she isn't aware of any other complaitnts regarding the lid separating from the body. Liar, ignorant and how can you think that I believe your blatent lie.

I'm glad you are having a good experience and wonder if your are under warrenty still. If not repair is not free, but they will offer discount to help out and keep offering  - so negotiate. In the meantime I wish you well.

HP Recommended

@CMichaelC ....      I saw in your original post that you laptop was 2 years old, so I'm assuming no longer in warranty.   Did HP offer to fix your laptop for free on the first contact, or did they first offer to fix it for a fee first?  Offering more details may help others get a similar result.

I'm glad you're having a good result.... I just wish HP was consistent in how it is handling this issue.  Yours is fixed for free and the next poor shmuck is blamed for causing the problem and charged $300 for the exact same issue.  That's just wrong.

HP Recommended

My laptop has started to do the same, the hinge is falling off and I can hear little bits of plastic rattling around. Who do I contact to get some help?12935187_1145205788844818_908365754_n.jpg

HP Recommended

@JoyLai

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with the left hinge on my laptop. It opens the computer in half, and now the system says there is something wrong with the system fan, I think the fan is breaking apart because of this left hinge thing.

Please Reply.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.