Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I bought an HP Envy 15.6" about two months ago and for the last couple of days it has shut down twice without any prevous warning when charging. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

HI @jvmz ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!Smiley Happy

It is a terrific place to find answers.
For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide Learn How to Post and More

I grasp that you notebook randomly shuts off without any warning while it is charging.

Have you ran the HP Support Assistant  to aid with HP updates and help resolve issues?

Have you tried Using automated troubleshooting (Windows 😎 to help resolve this difficulty.

Here is a link to Troubleshooting an Overheating and Auto Shutdown Issue to assist you.

You could also try testing for any hardware failures.  Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 8).

With this being such a recent purchase you will be in warranty and support.  You may wish to contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely log onto your system to help locate and resolve issues.

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside of the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. Phone Assist Worldwide

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hello Sparkles,

Thaks for your help, I have tried all of the troubleshooting options listed and still do not get a clear reason why my laptop does this.

I have updated the BIOS, did a CPU test on  HeavyLoad as indicated and it performed OK.

Last night it shutdown unexpectedly when the battery charge was about to reach 99%,  I wonder if that is the issue.

Here's my laptop info:

HP ENVY 15

15-k058ca

Intel i7-4710HQ Processor (2.5 GHz)

12288MB  RAM

Kind regards,

HP Recommended

Good Morning @jvmz

I hope you had a stress free weekend.

I am glad that everything passes the hardware test.  As this is happening when the battery charges to 99% perhaps the battery just needs to be calibrated.  It may just be that the battery is actually fully charged and because charging has completed, it then shuts down.

Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 😎.

If after calibrating the battery the issue remains, I suggest contacting HP support for assistance.  The  contact information is in my first post.

Good Luck !

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi Sparkles,

The computer will be sent to the repair centre for revision and repair.  It shutdown twice during the weekend and after being assesed by thr HP online live tech support, the technician issued a repair order.

Kind regards

HP Recommended

hi, I'm encountering the same problem! Except mine shuts down when I'm using the computer or the computer is on and plugged in. This started happening 3 days ago. The last time it happened I was literally in the middle of reading though a website and then it just turned off with a click sound! Have HP been able to fix your problem? If so do you know what the problem is?

Thanks a lot!

HP Recommended

Hi @newhpuser2014 

Thank you for your inquiry.

Have you tried all the steps in my first post on this thread.  If so and it is still irandomly shutting off, I would contact HP support for assistance.  The contact information is in the same thread as the troubleshooting.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I have no idea if this is the same problem that others are having.  But here is what I found was causing the "Random Shutdowns" in my own 2015 Envy 15 laptop.

I use the laptop in my LAP in my recliner chair and move it from my lap to the floor and back maybe 5 times a day.  It stays plugged in the whole time.  I have it set to shutdown in 10 minutes on battery and NEVER when on AC Power.  Ever since I got the machine in January, it has been randomly shutting down.  At first it was maybe once a week, then several times a week and now about daily.  Below is the problem I found was causing these random shutdowns.

1) I had the ENVY set to NOT shutdown on AC power but to shutdown after a time on battery.
2) I changed the computer to NOT shutdown on battery as well and have had no shutdowns since doing that.
3) I noticed that as I lifted the ENVY from the floor beside my recliner chair, the AC power plug would slowly but surely back out of the socket. Why? Because the plug is a RIGHT ANGLE plug and each time you raise the laptop from the floor and onto your lap, and then later put it back down, the RIGHT ANGLE plug rotates a bit and slowly it backs out of the socket.  Apparently as time has gone on, it is becoming easier and easier for the plug to back out of the socket.
4) I notice also that the external power plug has to "back out" of the socket only about 1/16" and then the "Plug" symbol goes out on the battery symbol showing the charger is UNPLUGGED. But ACTUALLY, at that point, the POWER is still flowing just fine to the ENVY, but the programs think the laptop is on battery. Thus, when this happens, the battery keeps charging, but the power monitor thinks the computer is on battery so it will shut off. When I quit allowing shutoff on battery, the shutdowns stopped.

So: We have a combination of hardware design defects causing the problem.
1) The power plug is right angle and non locking and it will quickly back out enough to eventually cause a power outage to the laptop even in the best case.
2) The "power is plugged in" sensor is mis-designed and it says power is OFF when actually the plug is still inserted enough to still provide power. A voltage sensor for the presence/absence of external power has proved a less expensive and much more reliable method of sensing the presence of external power. How about this HP?

Solutions would be: a) Provide a straight in power jack so the plug would not tend to rotate when the ENVY is picked up and set down. b) Increase the strength and grip of the socket so the plug will not pull out so easily. A nice "detent" would be effective in this application so as to "lock" the plug into the computer when it was inserted.

I am working with an HP technician on this and hopefully, he will come up with a satisfactory solution.

HP Recommended

I have been working with Case Manager Devon and a Customer Service Agent to try and sort out this problem. as noted above.  I went to several computer stores and checked out the new HP ENVY 15t models.  In every case  if the AC charger plug is moved out of the socket by just 1/16" to 3/32" the computer thinks the AC power feed is off and goes into battery mode.  Then if you have the power management scheduled to shut off after an idle time (say 15 minutes idle on battery) the computer will time out and shut down even though the power feed is still plugged in.

HP has asked that I send the computer in for service but have no idea what HP will do to fix it.  They will not allow me to speak to a repair technician who is technical enough to understand the problem.    Therefore, I have decided to just epoxy the plug into the side of the computer and  just put HP on my "do not buy from" list.

I recommend that anyone with this problem  simply return the machine ASAP for credit and buy most any other brand.  I have never run into this problem before and I  presently also have an ASUS and a Toshiba laptop and neither has this problem.

On the other hand, if your laptop is never moved from a table top, the plug will never get rotated in the socket and it will stay plugged in fine.  It is the moving of the laptp from the floor to lap and back to the floor that causes the slight plug rotation which causes the plug to back out and disengage.  It is a design defect and not a "repair problem".

HP Recommended

My HP Envy x360 has been shutting down randomly for weeks. It is very frustrating and annoying!  I have changed the power settings according to the recommendations listed before. If this does not work, I will return the computer to Best Buy for refund.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.