Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Awesome hchen42! Meanwhile I was going through HP' s website and came across this image. It does say PCIe SSD.pcie.PNG

Let us know once you have the working OS.

-Thanks

HP Recommended

@rthorng1 wrote:

Hello,

I recently purchased the HP Envy M6 AQ105DX laptop and as I was upgrading the RAM and the hard drive to an SSD, I noticed that there was an M.2 slot on the motherboard that may allow for a secondary SSD for the operating system.  I tried to do some resaerch, but since it is a relatively new laptop, there doesn't seem to be too many post on this particular laptop. I noticed that there are several posts about previous versons of the x360, but I am wary of trusting those answers because obviously technology changes, and different motherboards are used and specs change. 

Anywho, the label right next to the port says mSATA, but all of the mSata SSD for sale online have different pin configurations. The form that looks closet to my port is a PCIe slot. I have included a picture of my slot and if someone could confirm the compatibility, I will forever be in your debt. Thank you.msata.jpg

It looks like a M.2 type B sata. I have a m.2 sata samsung 256 gb that I ripped out of my old laptop I unfortunately spilled water on. Luckily the ssd drive is still working. I read that I can install this one that is keyed for M & B for this one that is just B. I am worried about taking apart laptops to install it since they are so compact but this might be a big improvement for me. It still has my old windows installed on it.

One quick question, if everything goes according to plan and I have installed this ssd into my new laptop, how do I set up windows to only be on the ssd and not the hhd? If I install this ssd, it will have windows on both (the ssd has my old OS on it and the hhd has the OS that comes with the laptop)

HP Recommended

Success!!  I've reinstalled Win10 on it.  I created a reinstall flash drive which allow me to do a full fresh reinstall.  If you are missing any drivers, it should be on the orginal drive's C: under swsetup. 

Here's what I did

1) I got the latest copy of Acornis True Image 2017.  This software enable me to copy the original HD's image onto a backup drive.  This took over 2 hours.  Acronis True Image 2017 can detect pcie slot.  So that's the good news.  Acronis Image can be obtained cheap, I bought it for $18 (sale plus black friday coupon plus ebates.com).  You don't need to do this.  I just prefer to have an original image.  Unforutnately, I couldn't back the drive image onto the ssd.  Not sure why.

2) I boot back into the original hd.  Goto Microsoft https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 to obtain the tool to create an usb install.

3) run the software downloaded from step 2 (need a spare usb drive) .

4) I copied c:\swsetup to the bootable drive created in step 3.

5) I pulled the original drive out. 

6) boot from the USB drive.  If you don't want to pull the original drive out, you can always boot into the USB drive by powering off the laptop.  When you turn it on, immediately tap "esc" key.  Until you see a list of menu to boot off your usb drive.

7) Once I boot off the flash drive, I just follow the instruction.

😎 I think the whole install took 5 minutes.

9) windowns 10 will boot back.  go to device manager to check if any drivers are missing.

So now, I plan to reformat the original drive then put it back into the computer.  If anything goes wrong, I can always recover from the image I created in step 1. 

Anyhow, good luck everyone who wish to try this.  HP support not only stink, but they even mislabeled the slot.  It's not msata, it's really pcie.  Oh well...

Oh, btw , you need a screw to secure the ssd.  I don't have a spare one, but there are two screws to secure the original drive.  I just used one of those to secure the ssd.  I think the remaining one should be enough to hold the original drive.

HP Recommended

Just want to mention about Acronis.  I know why my backup took hours.  I didn't shut down the computer properly, so there was some file system error.  A quick scan fixed it.  I can now back up and clone with each job taking 10 minutes each!!  So if you wish to retain all your file, set up , use acronis.  Cost about $18 right now (after coupon, rebates...)

Will report back later (probably in a week) on any updates. 

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

HP Recommended

Picked up a 500 Gb Samsung 850 EVO M.2 2280 SSD from Micro Center today, Installed it and the computer wouldn't recognize the drive right away. I unplugged the SATA SSD and installed windows from a USB and then after the system recognized both, I cloned the previous drive onto the new drive, and everything works just fine. In the process of formatting the SATA SSD and preparing it for a file storage drive.

20161127_165120.2.jpg

HP Recommended

@rthorng1 wrote:

Picked up a 500 Gb Samsung 850 EVO M.2 2280 SSD from Micro Center today, Installed it and the computer wouldn't recognize the drive right away. I unplugged the SATA SSD and installed windows from a USB and then after the system recognized both, I cloned the previous drive onto the new drive, and everything works just fine. In the process of formatting the SATA SSD and preparing it for a file storage drive.

20161127_165120.2.jpg

Cool, so the b key/mkey combo works.  The Microcenter guy in Flushing , NY. 

rthorng1, what do you do with the screws?  Did the Samsung drive comes with a screw to secure the drive?

HP Recommended

@hchen42 wrote:

@rthorng1 wrote:

20161127_165120.2.jpg

Cool, so the b key/mkey combo works.  The Microcenter guy in Flushing , NY. 

rthorng1, what do you do with the screws?  Did the Samsung drive comes with a screw to secure the drive?

I'm not sure yet what I am going to do with the screws. It didn't come with one, but the drive is so light, probably lighter than a quarter, and it sticks in there pretty tight, that I probably wont worry about it for now. Maybe hit up a hardware store or find somehting online.

HP Recommended

Yeah, I used one of the two screws from that 1TB hdd case (the silver screws).  I still prefer to secure the hdd with both screws - I am just **bleep**.  Oh well...

Cool, that's two laptops with two different SSD that works!

HP Recommended
So can anyone tell which ssd actually run on this some one says pcie and other says sata i purchased it but didnt have budget of pcie ssd if sata works then i think this will change my computer
HP Recommended

shahmalav726, In the message above, rthorng1 says he installed a 500 Gb Samsung 850 EVO M.2 2280 SSD. This is an m.2 SATA drive.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.