Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Product Name and Number:                HP Pavilion dv6-3300sg

Operating System:                                  Windows 7 64-bit

Error Message:                                       Bluescreen

Any Changes made:                              No

Hi,

I think, I have a problem with my HP Pavilion dv6-3300sg.

This problem exists since i buyed this Laptop.

My Laptop gets very warm in a very short time, especially on the left side where the cooling fan is.

The fan is also very loud....I don't know if this is normal on this series.

the fan gets louder while starting windows or openening firefox...the smallest programm is enough to get the fan to its max.

Right now I just have my antivir AVG on the background, firefox and the HP support assistant opened and the fan is spinning like crazy.

Let's say im on youtube for 1 h. the left side gets so hot i barley can touch it.

Games are unplayable so today I wanted to try out this browser game "the settlers online"

after 20 mins. the laptop crashed and bluesscreen.

This Laptop is new I bought it last june. So there shouldn't be that much dust.

I just use it on the Table, no extra fan or anything else.

I hope someone can help me wit this problem.

I am sry if my description is not good enough, i gave my best to describe it.

I'd be glad to get a fast and helpfull answer,

Bone.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Many times a laptop overheating is directly related to the cooling of the processor. The main culprit is the fan. The fan sucks in air from the bottom and blows it out the side. It will also suck in hair, dust, and other debris. That stuff often gets trapped by the heat sink and over time builds up in a layer which chokes off the cool air going to the processor making the fan work harder.

Check this out:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01657439

What I recommend is getting some canned air and blowing out the vents in the side and bottom of the laptop. If after doing this you still have problems with over-heating, and your laptop is in warranty, you can take your laptop to a HP Authorized Service Center and ask them to clean the fan and heatsink. You can check your warranty here:

http://www13.itrc.hp.com/service/ewarranty/warrantyResults.do?admit=109447627+1286541891570+28353475

If it is out of warranty, consider searching for the maintenance manual for your specific model, in the manual there are schematics for taking apart the laptop. Cleaning the fan is much easier that removing a motherboard, so don't feel to intimidated by the idea. Also you can remove the heatsink and then remove the thermal grease and apply a new layer which also helps alleviate heat related issues.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

HP Recommended

Thx alot for the help.

I called HP. they wanted me to update the bios and to clean the cooling fan.

I did both.

Now my Notebook does not crash and show a bluecreen. Thats a good thing.

But thats because the bios update makes the Laptop turn of before it crashes....

so it needs half of the time than before....to be useless.

When i restart it says thermal shutdown and something with "system Temperature (90E)"

And the left side wehre the cooling fan is does not get as hot as before when it burned ur fingers when u touched it.

watching youtube 1 hour and it shuts down....

In my opinion no solution....Before the update, it didnt shut down when i was on youtube at least.

Now the easiest tasks get the Laptop to shut down....

I think there is no option but to send it to hp. I hope they dont play with me: Like taking it sending it back...same problem....taking it sending it back another problem...till the warranty is off.

I experienced it before with some other companies....

HP Recommended

i have a few problems with this computer its a year old and burns up ..cant hold it on my lap (try to get air to thru bottom) bc the entire bottom of laptop especially top left of keyboard steams up .. i know a few others with the exact same computer and the newer version that also have the problem ..i have just come to expect that this brand is bound to overheat ..upgraded cooling fans twice and its still hot, even pushed air through it :indifferent:

HP Recommended
You have an older model of the pavilion series and these models have badly thought out fan placement and case design my dv7 has the same problems. Their is no current software fix for this as it is a hardware problem. Your better of getting a new notebook. The new pavilions dont recieve huge heat problems.
HP Recommended
I had the exact same overheating problem. I bought an Apple to replace it which was more expensive but I didn't have to buy two of them. I just pulled this pavilion machine out again, reinstalled windows, the bios, drivers and then as I was copying files to it and it overheated and shut down. I am just astounded these could be shipped with this problem being so obvious. Just start typing pavilion dv6 and you'll see that overheating comes up in the top google listings right after spec and manual. Not surprising HP stock is where it's at with this kind of design.
HP Recommended

I too have had the same problem. Severe overheating of not only the laptop but also the power cord. If the problem is widespread and nothing is being done then I ask you to all submit your information here; http://www.saferproducts.gov/Search/Result.aspx?dm=0&q=HP+laptop&srt=0 .

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.