Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv8000
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I recently bought an old HP Pavilion dv8000 and wiped the drives (yes, I said drives. Never saw a laptop with 2 HD before).

Anyway, I have been trying to get the drivers for it but it seems it is a Windows XP computer. I installed Windows 7 and I don't think they work right.  I am about to wipe it again and install XP. I'd really like to keep Windows 7. My device manager is showing standard graphics card but I don't think that is what is in it. Could someone tell me what is in this computer and where to get drivers?  Or let me know if I should put XP back in and what drivers I need.  HELP!!!!  Also, when on the internet I can't see the whole web page. Makes it hard to play some games.  I have been trying to fix this mess for the last two weeks. Is there a program I can run that will tell me exactly what is installed in this monster??

Thanks so much,  Melodysue

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The graphics driver I posted is the driver you need for that ID.

Just follow my instructions to install the driver. 

You run it, then you close out of any error windows (such as the installer cannot find any compatible hardware), and browse to the driver folder that was created when you ran that driver.

Here is a partial copy and paste of that driver setup information file, and the hardware ID you posted is supported by the driver.

[Manufacturer]
%NVIDIA% = NVIDIA.Mfg,NTx86.6.0

[NVIDIA.Mfg.NTx86.6.0]
%NVIDIA_G72.DEV_01D8.2%  = nv_G7x,     PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_01D8&SUBSYS_30A5103C
%NVIDIA_G73.DEV_0398.2%  = nv_G7x,     PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0398&SUBSYS_30A5103C

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Most of the DV8000 series has drivers posted for Vista- which may work in Windows 7. Which specific model do you have? Check the Service Tag attached to bottom for "full" model number or better yet Product Number (P/N)

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Section 1 has full model number. Section 2 has Product Number.

HP Service Tag

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

I believe the serv tag # is dv8235nr. It's a little worn. LOL Sorry. I believe it has nVidia graphics card. Maybe. LOL I just want to make sure I am putting the corrects drivers in, if I have to go back to XP, so be it!! Thank you very much for the quick response. Looking forward to hearing from you again.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Cheryl is correct in that you should be able to use most of the Vista drivers on W7 for your model.

You can probably use the XP drivers for devices such as the modem if W7 didn't install it.

You will have to manually install the Vista graphics driver though.  Here's how to do that...

The product support page for your specific model is at the link below...

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv8000-Notebook-PC-series/1153203/model/1843750/docu...

Download and run this Vista graphics driver.  You will most likely get an unsupported operating system error.

This package contains the driver for the NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 Graphics.

File name: sp34761.exe

Go to the device manager and click on the video controller needing drivers (it may be listed under the Display Adapters device category as a Standard VGA Adapter).

Click on the video controller/Standard VGA Adapter.  Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option and browse to the driver folder that was created when you ran the file.

That folder will be located in C:\SWSetup\sp34761.  Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked, and the driver should install.

Then reboot.

Bluetooth:  There is a W7 driver.  Use this one...The Vista driver doesn't usually work on W7.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_81348_2

Card reader:  The Vista driver on your model's support page will install the driver, but the card reader won't work.

You need this newer Vista driver in order for the card reader to work in W7:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=1847705&swItemId=ob_70996_1&swEnvOid=2096

The wireless card...I checked the parts list and 4 models are listed.

In order for me to provide the link to the wireless card driver you need, please do the following...

Go to the device manager, there should be an Other Devices category.

Under that category, there should be a device labeled Network Controller.

Please post the hardware ID for the device labeled Network Controller.

To find the hardware ID, click on the Network Controller device.

Then click on the Details tab at the top of the Network Controller device window.

Now you should see a Property drop down list and it will be set to Device Description.

Drop down on that list and select the second item (Hardware ID's).

Post the top string of characters that you see in the window.

If there is any other drivers you are missing, please let us know.

Your notebook should be completely functional when running W7.

HP Recommended

When I go to DEVICE MANAGER/Other devices it only shows 'Mass Storage Controller'. Under Network adapters I'm showing 'Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection and Intel PRO/Wireless 3945BG Network Connection. Also under MONITOR it is showing 'Generic Non-PnP Monitor' shouldn't it show my monitor?

I tried installing the NVIDIA drivers I got this ...............

The NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit.

HP Recommended

Hi:

You are good to go with the network drivers.

The mass storage controller is the card reader, so use the Texas Instruments card reader driver I posted above.

The product specs page for your model indicated it has the Geforce 7400 graphics.

Please post the hardware ID for the video controller or standard vga adapter using the same instructions I gave you to find the hardware ID for the wireless card.

I have to figure out what model graphics adapter your notebook has.

...and you tried manually installing the graphics driver as I posted above?  Normally it will not auto install.

HP Recommended

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_01D8&SUBSYS_30A5103C&REV_A1

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_01D8&SUBSYS_30A5103C

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_01D8&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_01D8&CC_0300

HP Recommended

Hi:

The graphics driver I posted is the driver you need for that ID.

Just follow my instructions to install the driver. 

You run it, then you close out of any error windows (such as the installer cannot find any compatible hardware), and browse to the driver folder that was created when you ran that driver.

Here is a partial copy and paste of that driver setup information file, and the hardware ID you posted is supported by the driver.

[Manufacturer]
%NVIDIA% = NVIDIA.Mfg,NTx86.6.0

[NVIDIA.Mfg.NTx86.6.0]
%NVIDIA_G72.DEV_01D8.2%  = nv_G7x,     PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_01D8&SUBSYS_30A5103C
%NVIDIA_G73.DEV_0398.2%  = nv_G7x,     PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0398&SUBSYS_30A5103C

HP Recommended

SUCCESS!!!  It worked!  No more standard graphics card. Thank you very much!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.