Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

You have to use a program which converts the .iso to a finished disk. You can't just unzip the .iso and burn the contents to a disk it will not be bootable. There were instructions. Find the .iso right click on it. Have a blank DVD/CD in the drive...select burn disc image and follow the prompts to make the .iso into a finished useable disk. 

HP Recommended

No I knew that and was using your suggesgted program.  Problem was my security would not allow burn.  So disk was empty.
Burn now complete and FRED coughed up Hirens

Selected the Mini WinXP

Now showing
Hiren's BootCD 15.2  GRUB44DOS0.4.5c20121002 638K/1021M

[Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.  For the first wor, TAB lists possible command completions.  Anywhere else TAB lists the possible completions of a device/filename.  ESC at any time exits.]

grub>

HP Recommended

First message when started up FRED with disk:

Enabling Mini Windows Xp

(cd)

Will boot NTLDR from drive=0x9f, partition=0xff(hidden sectors=0x0)

Let it sit and then the message above is now displayed.

HP Recommended

It is not finding the boot file for XP. OK you can try some of the other tools in Hirens until you get to one that will let you run chkdsk on the hard drive. 

HP Recommended

Can not find a tool that will get me to c:
One tool (Seagate) however does show me that everything is there, files, programs, drives
Not familiar enough to do anything from here as it appears it is just a backup tool.

Wondering if there is a specific XP file on the windows disk I have that I could copy .... not that I am able to read the disk on the hurt machine.

HP Recommended

The hard drive may not be mounted as C:\

What apps have you tried? 

HP Recommended

It is C: and confirmed when I tried Seagate, the tool that showed me everything is there.  

Just can not get to it.   Still wants to boot to c:/windows and the c:/windows system files are what have been moved and probably in a hidden file that I can not access, or find.
Why you can not boot directly to root and bypass windows is a pain!   Should be a key combo that you can do to just startup at c:

Tried all the other tools on there that I was comfortable with as the directories etc are all there and I do not want to wipe it if at all possible.
Just not seeing SATA and so have to get help on that.

HP Recommended

Blessed we are with new technologies, LOL    Give me good ole DOS any day

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.