Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have a HP Pavilion g6 running Windows 7. Recently, the screen went blank with the caps lock flashing 3 times. Discovering this is a memory module issue, I reseated the memory modules, which solved the problem. A few hours later, the problem recurred. Every time I've reseated the modules, the computer boots up and runs fine, but I can never make it through a full Windows memory diagnostic without the problem recurring. I've tried many different combos, including swapping the modules and removing one or the other, etc. I can surf the web and the computers seems to be stable, but when I perform any taxing tasks (i.e.- running a diagnostic, checking Windows Experience, etc.) the problem recurs. Will replacing the modules with new ones solve the issue?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

mstaugler,

If these are the original memory modules and the notebook is still covered by the hardware warranty then you should contact HP tech support for assistance.

Otherwise, try replacing the memory modules with new or known good.

Wes

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi Wes,

Thanks for the reply. The PC is roughly two years old, so it is out of warranty, though it is the original memory. I thoroughly dusted the RAM slots and internals with canned air and pulled what I can only assume to be a physically bad stick of RAM (?) (brown/tan color vs. normal bright green). Booted and began memory diagnostic, which finished this time with no errors, virus scan was clean and cleaned up my registry errors. Things seem fine now. Am planning on replacing the 1GB stick I pulled with a 2GB stick I just ordered. I'll update in a week or so. Thanks!

HP Recommended

I have a similar problem. I've cleaned out the ports, replaced the RAM, and the mother board, yet I still get the same blinking codes. .  Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

Hello ladylady.  I understand you've continued to get the 3-blink CAPS LOCK error even after replacing the memory.

This document covers the various HP blink code patterns.  

You've already replaced the memory and are still receiving an error relating to the memory.  In this instance I feel that the next likely culprit would be the memory port causing a false fail.  The port could be malfunctioning or not working at all.

Do you have more than one RAM stick installed?  If so I would try remove both sticks and trying different permutations in the different slots.  If you're able to get the notebook to boot using only one of the sticks or one of the RAM slots that will significantly narrow down the problem.  Try this and post the result.

I will be keeping an eye out for your reply.  I hope you have a good day and a great weekend!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

Hey! Sorry it has taken me forever.

I thought it was the ram ports, too, but I replaced the motherboard, so I'm not sure that's the case. I tested the ram and the hdd on another laptop, and it's good. I'm not sure what else to do with it?

HP Recommended

Hello again ladylady.

In all honesty this has me stumped.  You've replaced both the motherboard AND the memory.  However, the issue persists.  The only major component of the machine which hasn't been replaced is the CPU and I don't see how that could cause the notebook to throw an error related to the RAM.  It could also be a false positive but there is no real way to determine that.  Another possible cause I could see would be an issue with the BIOS.  However, if you can't boot the notebook you're not going to be able to flash the BIOS either.  

The only thing you could do at this point is let a technician take a look at the computer in person.  Many times local shops will give you a diagnosis while in the store.  I suggest taking it to a shop such as this and letting them give you a second opinion.  You could also contact HP Support (especially if this notebook is in warranty) at 1-800-474-6836 if you're in the US/Canada.  If you're in another part of the world you'd need to visit HP Support Worldwide to get your region's contact information.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.  I hope you have an excellent weekend!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

don't worry yourself. it is really easy guys.

1. remove the CPU

2. remove the CMOS Battery

3. leave it out for 20 Seconds

5. Put everything back together.

6. switch it on the enjoyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

HP Recommended

I know this was posted some time ago, but in case someone else came across this like I did, ituza is correct. 

I used this guide to help disassemble: http://www.insidemylaptop.com/how-to-disassemble-hp-pavilion-g6-laptop/

I have a model 1015TU (can be found under the battery), so the guide was not exactly the same. The CMOS was not where it is shown in that guide. I wish! It was under the motherboard, so I had to remove the board altogether to get to it. 

Once it was reseated (20 - 30 second removal) and everything was put back together, it worked fine.

Initially I tried 2 different sticks of RAM in both slots (one at a time) and one of the sticks was brand new. So it was a false fault alert.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.