Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Probook 650 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I recently purchased a HP Probook 650G2. The notebook has been great, but i've noticed the fan is constantly ramping up and down. I use my laptop all day for work, and it never stops. I'm not running intensive programs and even checking task manager there is barely any load on the CPU/GPU/HDD/Ram. 

I've upgraded the BIOS to the newest version and made sure the option was unchecked in the BIOS for "keep fan running while using AC power"  

I've run the notebook on battery and AC, and it's still the same thing. 

I even took a video, so you can hear the fan noise...very annoying.

http://vid1118.photobucket.com/albums/k619/mwilding/650G2FanNoise_zpsrjs7pky8.mp4

I'm beginning to hear this fan in my sleep...Any help, or is this normal?

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended
I watch the video on my phone and I couldn't hear it very well.

If the fan is loud enough to be annoying your possibilities are a bad fan, a defective heat sink or a motherboard failure.

The fan could actually just have a bearing failing which could cause it to be noisier at some times than others.

If it's in warranty contact in authorized service provider or HP. HP might ship you a fan because they are generally fairly easy to replace.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

Hello all,

I am afraid this is the common problem. The cover of notebook has normal temperature (colder than my hand) and fan ramping as furious. The previous one notebook (Dell) had started cooling only if necessary, the temperature of cover was human body temperature when fan started.  My colleague has equal problem. So I suppose bad component or bad construction.  Ramping up / down probably means wrongly set up regulation loop or damaged bearing.

jizw

HP Recommended

Hello all,

we have several brand new HP Probook 650 G2 notebooks which have this issue. The ramping up and down is repeating every 2-3 seconds.

Jan

HP Recommended
If they are brand-new you need to contact HP or an authorized service provider for warranty repair.

It is possible that the heatsink is defective and the heat pipe is not conducting the heat off the processor to the fins fast enough.

I work for an authorized support provider near Frederick Maryland.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

HP Recommended
As a follow-up thought you might want to find some software that can actually report your processor temperature to you so you can see if the processor is overheating to coincide with the fan speed increase.

HP Recommended

Thank you to effort help with this problem.

Hopefully the notebooks are under warranty (I have it cca one week).

Our IT team will claim also this problem. We have already problems with external monitors: Random dropouts for max resolution 1920x1080 (black screen for 1 to 10 seconds). Maybe there is thermal dependency of ths bug.

jizw

HP Recommended

I'm almost 100% sure it's not a thermal problem, as here is the evidence. You can see the CPU and GPU temps are well under their throttle point. Also, the fan will ramp up and down from a cold boot - it's doing this 100% of the time, even at idle.

Temps.PNG

I also don't happen to think it's a hardware issue. if I had to make a guess, I would say the issue is a BIOS/Firmware one. Hopefully HP can stat working on A fix.

HP Recommended

Tx for temperature values. You are right, values are too low for any fan activity and my experience is the same. Fan stars just during cool boot, up to 7 seconds from power on.

Comp will go to the the shelf under the office desk to reduce this pushing noise. And HP service center hopefully will offer some suitable solution. 

HP Recommended

Have you checked to see if there are any firmware updates available?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.