Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi all,

I recently bought a new HP Envy notebook about a month ago, and it came installed with Windows 8 and the newest HP SimplePass software. Not being a huge fan of Internet Explorer, I downloaded Google Chrome, and--to my dismay--the SimplePass extension did not download with it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling SimplePass, but that didn't work. I read some other forum posts on this topic and ended up downloading the Authentec SimplePass port for Google Chrome. This caused the entire fingerprint scanner to stop working, so I uninstalled everything and started fresh. Can anybody help me get SimplePass working with the newest Chrome and Windows 8?

I appreciate all of your help! 

84 REPLIES 84
HP Recommended

Hi Rehg98,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have read your thread on your HP ENVY Notebook and issues with SimplePass and Google Chrome. The biometric device is the hardware that controls the fingerprint reader. There are options in the BIOS to turn the biometric device on and off. Here is a document on how to turn it on.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Are there any plans to get simple pass to work with chrome? This is BS

HP Recommended

I can't get SimplePass to work with Chrome either.  I don't have a fingerprint reader, I'm using a PIN with SimplePass.  Install/Uninstall Chrome/SimplePass many times, including different orders.  No joy.

System is a brand new Envy 27 with Win8.1

Any tips?

HP Recommended

Hello,

Here is a document to help troubleshoot Simplepass. 

Simplepass does not work in some Chrome until you  try.

1. Click the Start button

2. Type 'programs'

3. Click Programs and Features

4. Let the list populate and scroll down to find Google Chrome. Click on it and the version will be shown at the bottom of the window. Note that and post it in your reply, please.

5. Scroll down to HP SimplePass. Click on it to see the version. This explains that if both programs are up-to-date and the extension is enabled.

Hope this helps.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

The troubleshooting document you linked to is for fingerprint reader issues.  I have no reader, I set up SimplePass to use a PIN.

Chrome version: 33.0.1750.146

HP SimplePass version: 8.00.54

I uninstalled and re-installed SimplePass again, the extension does not appear in the list of Chrome extensions.  

-Is there a way for force load the extension?  

-Where is the file on my disk?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hey Bobgcampbell,

If you use the HP Support assistant. It will show you all the software that was installed at the time of build.

If you don't have it here is a link to download it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Not sure how listing the SW as installed would help, it never worked in the first place.

Here is the SW build number:  14AM1ARA602#SABA#DABA

The ML.txt file shows block P00D9Z-B2J which is version 8.00.54, which I have installed.

Thanks,
Bob

HP Recommended

I found a directory named 'ChromeBHOExt' in the installation directory of the HP SimplePass.There was a chrome extension file named 'ChromeBHOExt.crx'. And I drap and drop it in the Chrome Extension.Then it installed successfully and worked.You can try it.

HP Recommended

Can you provide some instructions on how you did this? Chrome suddenly disabled my SimplePass extension and now it has disappeared also. Nothing I do is fixing it and I am so mad!! Thanks!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.