Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I did as KC_Syd said and it's been a few days I didn't see the hangs again. I think that fixed the issue. Thank you.

HP Recommended

The instructions provided by KC_Syd fixed the issue for me as well with my new HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ac0XX. I was experimenting the same freezing issues described in this thread. I only had performed the OS and HP updates proposed upon receiving it and installed little and very standard software.

Big kudos and thanks: I registered to the forum to say that!

On the other hand, I was starting to think about sending this dream computer back when I saw the quantity of hit I received searching for that issue on the web. I must say it puzzles me HP ships high end devices with such impacting configuration issues. Not everyone is able to effeciently search the web, let alone troubleshoot to the level this solution required. 

Again this computer is now back to being what I bought it for and quite a hardware value proposition compared to Microsoft and Apple offerings. But when it freezes like that it cannot be used as a serious tool. HP should go back to using basic OS settings and utilities if it cannot properly support its own add-ons and configurations.

HP Recommended

Hey guys, I must say KC_Syd instructions did help for me too. I do have a few freezes sometimes when I do lots of work all at the same time (InDesign + Photoshop + 6 Tabs open in web browsers, etc) but it is much more less than before.

Each time I used to have a freeze I used to do CTRL + DEL then cancel, to make it go away because somehow it made the freeze "debug" (used to happen at least 3 times a day). Now I just do it maybe once per week.

My laptop is kind of back to normal. I'm still upset by how HP never managed that issue properly. I switched from Asus to HP thinking maybe they could make high performance laptops now. I think they still need progress I guess.

HP Recommended

Please don't forget to thumb up KC_Syd's answer if it worked for you.

HP Recommended

Wow! I've had this issue ever since I bought this laptop. I've had it a few months and this hanging thing was really making me angry.

I performed the KC_Syd suggested steps and the issue seems to be resolved! That tells me that there is a problem with the power saving in the wifi driver.

Shame on HP for not releasing a driver update and letting everyone know!

HP Recommended

Thank you so much KC_Syd,

you made my day - no more freezes sind I follwed your instructions (hope this will be permanent now)!

Cheers,

Denis

@KC_Syd wrote:

Here is what I did to seemingly fix the issue:

Go into Device Manager and update all drivers by right clicking each driver and selecting the update driver option. The wifi card had an update for me. I believe that was part 1 of the solution.

Next, right click on the wifi adapter in Device Manager,  and in the Power Management tab unckeck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Then go into Control Panel, search for Power and select "Edit power plan"

It will most likely bring up the HP Recommended  power plan as your selected plan.

Click "Change advanced power settings"

Go to Wireless Adapter Settings -> Power Saving Mode 

Select Maximum Performance for both "On battery" and "Plugged in" 

That fixed the lock ups for me and the random network drop-outs while running on battery. 

Hope this helps.

PS: My laptop has been running with no wifi drop-outs or lock-ups for the last 4-5 days now, whereas previously it'd lock up and/or  drop out regularly.

HP Recommended

KC_Syd, you nailed it.

Completely fixed my new machine - intermittent freezing right out of the box.

You saved BestBuy and HP a $2k return. As far as I'm concerned, HP should hire you 🙂

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Kudos to you, KC_Syd. I can confirm this worked for me as well, the freezing is entirely gone.

You basically saved me from the hassle of sending in my main machine. Thank you very much!

HP Recommended

Looks like this issue is not resolvable.

Is there any non-bot HP support?

HP Spectre (plus Windoze?) = hopeless junk ?? 

HP Recommended

Florifulgurator: The KC_Syd instructions worked for me and a number of other people. They are reprinterd here for your edification.

I didn't update ALL of my device drivers, just the wifi adapter. Then I followed the rest of the instructions about the power management and mine is perfect now.

I agree that HP is dropping the ball on the vast majority of their users by not acknowledging this issue and sending out a fix for this.

Go into Device Manager and update all drivers by right clicking each driver and selecting the update driver option. The wifi card had an update for me. I believe that was part 1 of the solution.

Next, right click on the wifi adapter in Device Manager,  and in the Power Management tab unckeck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Then go into Control Panel, search for Power and select "Edit power plan"

It will most likely bring up the HP Recommended  power plan as your selected plan.

Click "Change advanced power settings"

Go to Wireless Adapter Settings -> Power Saving Mode 

Select Maximum Performance for both "On battery" and "Plugged in" 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.