Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp Spectre X360 13" Late 2016
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've seen other threads here about this but no real solutions.  Battery drains 7-10% overnight when my laptop is completly shut down.  

Steps I've already taken:

1.  Bios and drivers are all fully up to date including last weeks bios update

2.  Disabled USB charging when computer is turned off in bios

3.  Disabled Windows 10 "fast startup"

Please don't suggest "making sure the laptop is plugged directly into a wall and not a power strip" as an actual solution.  I am a technician and have tried all the basics.

Is there a fix for this?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi @jasonls86

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the battery is draining when the computer is shut down.

Don’t worry, we will work together to resolve this issue and It’s a pleasure to assist you in this regard.

Follow below steps to fix this issue.

Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager.

Here is how you do it.

Step 1: Click the Windows “Start” button and right-click “Computer.”

Step 2: Click “Manage,” then “Device Manager.”

Step 3: Click the “Batteries” section. A list of devices will appear.

Step 4: Right-click the “Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery” device and click “Uninstall.”

Step 5: Click the “Action” menu item and “Scan for Hardware Changes” to reinstall the driver.

Restart the computer and the issue should be fixed.

If the issue persists, follow the steps in the below article.

http://hp.care/2oVHYE9

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I tried reinstalling the driver - no change I still lose 10% power over night.

Tried doing a battery calibration but my bios does not give me options like the ones in the link you provided. I only have memory and hard drive tests when I press f2 when booting. My bios is version 1.18.0.0
HP Recommended

Hi @jasonls86, I am the @Chimney_83. It looks like you were interacting with @The_Fossette, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thanks for the reply and uninstalling the battery controller as suggested. Recommend you run HP Support Assistant on your computer to make sure all the drivers are updated on your computer. Click here

Once all the drivers are updated including BIOS, run a battery test on the computer using HPSA. 

Let me know how it goes. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
All drivers are up to date and I ran to the battery test with the hp software assistant and it says it's fine
HP Recommended

@jasonls86

It looks like you were interacting with @Chimney_83, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service. 

I have reviewed your post and it looks like there are just a few more steps you need to do, in order to fix this once and for all:

Since the tests have passed and yet, the issue persists: 

Within BIOS there's an option that provides energy to the Type-C USB port even when the notebook is turned off. 

  

Hence, I recommend you disable this feature to fix the battery drain.  

Please find the details listed below: 

• Press the power button and then tap the F2 key to invoke the start-up menu. 

• Choose and click on the F10 key to invoke the BIOS. 

• Use the System Configuration tab. Disable USB Charging  and press the F10 key to save the changes and boot into Windows.

Let me know how that works out, keep me in the loop and Good luck! 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi. Thank you for the reply but in my first initial post I mentioned that I have already turned this off
HP Recommended

If you read the other threads..

You will know there is no fix.

HP will tell you to do a whole bunch of crap etc and nothing will fix it

even the sphnix update they will try to install for you is a bandaid fix that doesn't work properly.

YOU should not have to disable any features the laptp was sold with to make something else work properly.

HP Recommended

Yeah...figured I would still try.  Very disapointed, it's a great laptop besides that...but it really sucks for traveling when you can't count on your laptop keeping a charge!  I bought a square warranty because I don't trust HP's support, wonder if they would cover this.  Do new models suffer from the same issue?

Really is **bleep** though.  I agree we shouldn't have to disable things like that to begin with.  Shouldn't have this kind of a problem on a new high end laptop.  Seems like there is a design/manufacturing flaw here.  We shouldn't suffer because of HP's inability to solve this.  Kinda wishing I bought a dell now...

HP Recommended

Hello, @jasonls86

I'd like to jump in with a suggestion!

I'd suggest you perform a battery test to make sure the hardware is good. Here are the steps:

1)      Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2)      Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc to get the Startup menu. Now press F2 key.

3)      The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

4)      Select the "Component test" and then select "Battery test" from the list.

5)      Let me know if the test passes or not.

Let me know how that goes!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.