Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-4002dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've had the HP Spretre x360 for a good couple of months now, and I was loving it until one of the keys on the keyboard key begin to stick, specifically the "tab" key. I popped it off thinking no harm would be done (not a smart move), but I think I might have damaged the very small plastic hooks that were holding it in. This is my first Ultrabook, and I had no idea that the construction for the keys was so fragile. Anyone with sticking keys on this machine should not pop off the keys or risk damaging those small plastic hooks you can see in the image below (that got rotated for some unknown reason). 

If anyone from HP could tell me how to get a new "TAB" key, that would be great. Also, guidance  about putting a new key would be nice too. 

Those with sticking keys should be cautious if you plan on taking the keys out. 

The Product Model is HP Spectre x360 - 13-4002dx. 

20150919_220420 (576x1024).jpg

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @Leo2216,

Thank you for posting. I have read your post, and I understand that you want to replace the Tab key since the plastic hook was broken when you tried to fix the stick key. I want to assist you in this matter.

Here is the link to order HP parts:

HP Notebook PCs - Ordering HP Certified Replacement Parts

On the page 38 of the maintenance and service guide, you will find the process of how to replace the key board

HP Spectre x360 Convertible PC Maintenance and Service Guide

The link below may help too:

HP Notebook PCs - Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting (Windows 😎

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Have a good day!

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I have a similar problem although I have not attempted to repair the keyboard. The 'C' Key continues to stick and requires a hard press for the PC to accept the input. Is there anyway to fix this without popping off the keyboard?

HP Recommended

I have the issue with the D key. it can get quite frustrating when typing a paragraph only to see that D hasn't registered. It requires conscious effort to avoid this and for the D key to be pressed much harder than the rest.

Is there a reason for this and a simple solution? My laptop was bought at the end of December.

HP Recommended

Tje fkd

lafkas

'ddddddddddddd

The answer given to the sticky key problem by HP support does not address the key issue (no pun intended). IF A KEY STICKS ON THE SPECTRE, WHAT SHOULD ONE DO? A simple question - please provide a simple answer.

Rob Dullien 

Boulder, CO

[Personal Information Removed]

HP Recommended

@robinboulder1

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Spectre x360 laptop and facing a keyboard issue. the keys stick inside and do pop out and return to their normal position. Is that correct?

If a key is physically stuck in the down position, you might not have to replace the entire keyboard. Many keyboards have keys that can be removed by inserting a butter knife under one edge of the key and gently prying up on the top and bottom edge. After the key has been removed, using a swab with alcohol, clean the underside of the key and the key's slot in the keyboard. Replace the key by snapping it back into place.

If the notebook is still under warranty and a key is stuck, you should contact HP phone support to see if the notebook can be serviced before removing a key. 

To avoid damaging the pad under the key, insert the butter knife only 1/8 inch under the edge of the key.

Figure: Butter knife gently prying up on key, cotton swab cleaning key

Image of removing a key and cleaning under it.

Other tips to think about when encountering a stuck key:

• Turn off the notebook and unplug the AC adapter before working on the keyboard.

• If your notebook has a removable battery, remove the battery before removing the key.

• If the key is stuck due to liquid or other substance getting into the keyboard, cleaning might be the only option.

• Longer keys, such as spacebar and Enter, probably have a small metal rod for support. This rod must be inserted into the key and keyboard before replacing the key into the keyboard.

Figure : Metal Rod connection point for the space bar

Metal rod connections under the space bar

If a key cannot be unstuck, or the keyboard does not have keys that can be removed, service the laptop by contacting HP phone support.

Hope this information helps. Keep me posted if you have any questions. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi 

I have three key that are sticking on my new HP Spectre x360 (end of 2016). I am trying to remove the keys but I don't dare to apply any force. Are they any tutorials or videos that show how to do it? Is it even possible to remove the keys on the HP Spectre x360 13-w0XX? I am afraid to break the keys.

Thank you best regards

fluj

HP Recommended

@ fluj

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. I'd like to assist you with this case.

I understand that you have an HP Spectre x360 13-w0XX laptop and there are three keys do not pop out to their normal position after pressing them. 

I did check and the below mentioned is the only way to make the keys come back to their original position. But if this trick doesn't seem to work then I suggest you to reach out to HP phone support to explore the hardware service options for your laptop. 

To avoid damaging the pad under the key, insert the butter knife only 1/8 inch under the edge of the key.

Figure: Butter knife gently prying up on key, cotton swab cleaning key

Image of removing a key and cleaning under it.

Other tips to think about when encountering a stuck key:

• Turn off the notebook and unplug the AC adapter before working on the keyboard.

• If your notebook has a removable battery, remove the battery before removing the key.

• If the key is stuck due to liquid or other substance getting into the keyboard, cleaning might be the only option.

• Longer keys, such as spacebar and Enter, probably have a small metal rod for support. This rod must be inserted into the key and keyboard before replacing the key into the keyboard.

Figure : Metal Rod connection point for the space bar

Metal rod connections under the space bar

Feel free to let me know if you have nay questions. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

I also have the Spectre x360 and i am having the same issues after purhcasing. I love the laptop (apart from the dull screen and sticking keys)

I am experiencing this with keys a/tab and shift mainly. How can this be cleaned without destroying these keys? There must be a way of popping them out. Your technical butter knife solution just wont "cut" it...

Pun intended!!!

HP Recommended

You can try to remove the keys with a knive, gently, from the side. They are made to be removed. They are "clipped"

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.