Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion g6
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Some keys of my keyboard have stopped working suddenly. These include the entire F1 - F12 line , N,C  and 6,7 on numeric keypad. Is there a solution or is it a hardware related issue and  i need to replace it. How much cost would i have to incur in order to replace entire keyboard or the specific non -workable keys..

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Dear Customer,

Welcome and Thank you for posting your query on HP Support Forum

It looks like you are having issues with the Keyboard on your Notebook.

We will surely assist you with this.

Let’s start with a questions:

1. Was there any liquid split on the Notebook Keyboard

2. Is there any Dust settled on the Notebook Keyboard

3. Are there any Keys which are fallen off / Any Keys which are loose

Troubleshooting: 

Step 01. Click on the Start Button and go to Control Panel

Step 02. Open the Device Manager and expand the Keyboard from the list

Step 03. Right click on Standard PS/2 Keyboard and click on Uninstall

Note: This driver will get installed again automatically on your Notebook

Step 04. Please turn OFF the Notebook

Step 05. Un-plug the Power/AC Adapter and also remove the Battery too

Step 06. Press and Hold the Power Button of the Notebook for a full minute

Step 07. Now let's re-insert the battery back in and plug back the Power/AC Adapter

Step 08. Start the Notebook and keep tapping F10 Key during the startup to access the BIOS

Step 09. Once you get to the BIOS, Please press F9 or F5 Key[Model specific] to load setup defaults for the BIOS

Step 10. Use the arrow keys to say "YES" and hit enter

Step 11. Now let's press Esc/Escape Key. Save Changes and Exit - Yes

Step 11. Now please wait till the Unit loads the Windows Operating system

If the issue still persists please check and verify if an External Keyboard works fine with your Notebook

Note: Please click on the below shown link to find more troubleshooting steps

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05336150 (Link Updated 05/01/2017)

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the KUDOS star on left to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

K N R K

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Yes i had used it once with slightly wet hands . But there was no spill. So should i follow the same procedure?

HP Recommended

You can perform all the troubleshooting steps shown above and check if that resolves the issue if not this could be a hardware issue

Please feel free to revert for further assistance

Regards,

K N R K

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I too have  similar issue.
Thanks for the suggested troubleshooting tips, however, as the original post stated, none of the function keys work so pressing F10, F9 or F5 is difficult.

HP Recommended

Hi

I had a similar problem with an HP Pavilion g6 Windows 8, with A,S,D K,L, and main return keys not working. I followed your troubleshooting path and now the keyboard doesn't work at all. Any advice would be gratefully received.

HP Recommended

Hello,

All of a sudden Few keys have stopped functioning.

Due to this issue, I am unable to input the user credentials (password) too and unable to login in turn.

What are the options next?

Is there any way to disable the user from BIOS setup, so I can atleast login and then go for update drivers etc?

HP experts are requested to share some ideas at the earliest/urgently.

Rgds,

Bhaskar

HP Recommended

@TimLT

According to the message you have recently posted I would like to confirm that this is a hardware issue and the whole keyboard assembly needs to be replaced to resolve the issue. I strongly recommend you to Contact HP Technical Support over the Phone for further assistance to get your Notebook diagnosed and serviced by an authorized HP Certified Engineer

You can also Check your warranty Here to verify the warranty status

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

K N R K

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm having similar issue, but one additional point is, due to few non-functioning keys I'm unable to enter the users' password and login to the laptop.

Is there any way to disable the user account from BIOS setup, so I can get entry into laptop and browse the control panel troubleshooting steps?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Regards,

Bhaskar

HP Recommended

@hegdebhaskar

You can use an external keyboard to type in the password. We cannot disable user account from BIOS

Hope this helps

Regards,

KNRK

I work for HP

I am an HP Employee
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.