Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have disabled the Action Keys in the Bios.  How do I keep it a disabled when an update is done by HP?  It keeps getting turned on again.

HP Recommended

@tarchibald9 wrote:

I have disabled the Action Keys in the Bios.  How do I keep it a disabled when an update is done by HP?  It keeps getting turned on again.

Hello tarchibald9.

What exactly do you mean by "when an update is done by HP?"  What sort of things are being updated?

Have you noticed other settings being reverted such as your date and time within Windows?

Also, if you could post your full model number and operating system?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

We have the G4 1300 series.  I'm assuming it's some kind of update from HP, because we have not done any hand update.  I disabled the Action keys as directed and the machine worked great.  It was bing used one day and the next day the Action Keys were enabled again.  No one had changed them as I had not shown anyone how to change it.  That it why I assume it was some kind of update from HP that caused it to return to enabled.  If this is not the case, then why would it change back automatically w/out being prompted to do so?  Thanks for your help!

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, tarchibald9.

The action key support is a settings within the BIOS.  The BIOS is seperate from the operating system of the computer.  Normally BIOS updates do not reset your settings, though it is a possibility.  Have you noticed your date/time being reset when you reboot your PC?

Try disabling the action key support once more and save the configuration.  Then reboot the notebook and go back into the BIOS and see if it has reverted back again.  Please post the results.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

HP Recommended

I disabled it and rebuted.  Looks like everything is fine.  However, it did fine for a few days when I originally tried it.  We will wait and see what happens.  I will keep you posted.  Definitely "kudos" for the quick responses!!!!!

HP Recommended

Make sure to click the Kudos button under my posts if you found them helpful.

I will await your response and will continue to work on this issue with you if it returns.

Have a great weekend!

HP Recommended

just press that fn key and num lock at the same time. you will get a message that num lock is off and you will be back in business.

HP Recommended

I have a ProBook 4530s and can get into the BIOS, but do not have an Action Key option.

How can I disable fn?

HP Recommended

Hello ALittleWrath,

I understand you want to disable the FN key in bios for you.

After doing some researching the issue to get the answer for his issue it would be better if you posted your question on the commercial forum because of the type of computer you are using. I will provide the link below; it is possible that you may have to create another profile.

HP Probook Forum

Thank You 

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended

Hi

I have tried the below and was able to access the relevant area, however it did not work....

I have a Pavillion G62235TX.

Any additional help will be appreciated.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.