Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I was recently given a virus laden Pavilion dv1520us. The owner simply gave up on it and said to me "it's yours to do with as you like."

I formated the hard drive and installed Win HP Home (not from a "recovery disk") and have been trying to update everything I can. It has not had any major problems yet. Today, I upgraded the BIOS from F12 to F22A. After installtion, I opened the BIOS and found the "Tools" Menu, and on it, a Hard Drive Test. Having no reason other than curiousity, I ran the test. An hour later, I had the following message "#2 - 07 Fail".

I checked the internet, and found that (generally) when this code comes up, the hard drive needs to be replaced. I will do that, and I've ordered from HP the recovery disks, so when I get them, I will do the recovery on the new drive. But no matter where I go, I can not find any information on what "#2 - 07 FAIL" actually means. It's certainly not on HP's website, or if it is, it is well hidden. Can anybody tell me exactly what the code means (other than the drive is failing). What exactly is happening to this drive?

By the way, I've seen other folks with the error message "#1 - O7 Fail". What does that mean and what is the difference  with the #2 message?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

is there more than one hard drive bay. I believe thats what it refers to hard drive bay 2.

Signature:
I am a HP Totalcare employee for Notebook support. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
HP Recommended

No, one hard drive bay only!, and one hard drive -- a Toshiba MK8025GAS (80 GB).

HP Recommended

I've never gotten an answer for the HP BIOS hard drive diagnostic codes.  I believe the 1 or 2 may refer to the stage (Quick, Comprehensive, SMART) and fail code.  It might also be the connection to the motherboard.

In the end it doesn't really matter.  You could probably download a 3rd party hard drive diagnostic tool and find out more information about this drive. 

Here is the page for Toshiba's free Fujitsu diagnostic utilities:  http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities

HP Recommended

Thank you, Kalt. I shall do exactly as you say!

In the mean time, I've not placed anything on this computer that I'd be afraid to lose, so I'll have to wait until the first week in August (evidently) for the recovery disk. And I'll place a brand new drive in the machine at the same time.

The purpose of this machine will be that it will be placed in my car for use at "free" WiFi spots (McDonalds, Starbucks, etc.) when I need internet access on the road.

HP Recommended

Hi, I also am having the same problem with #2 - 07 FAIL. I have an HP Pavillion dv6000....any suggestions there? 

HP Recommended

Not way to fix it, just replace the hard drive, because it way out

HP Recommended

Problem with a Pavilion DV2000. Even though I could read all the partitions when I put the hard drive in an external inclosure, it just wouldn't boot up & would give different error's during & after POST. I didn't have recovery disc's so I cloned the hard drive from a Pavilion DV8000 & was able to use it for the DV2000. This error code is not worth all the problems so just replace it. Back to the cloning. I originally used an Intel based DV6000 Pavilion to clone the hard drive for the AMD based DV8000 which in turn was able to be cloned for an AMD DV2000 Pavilion. [I know I repeated myself but all I am trying to show is there was a work around when there are no recovery disc's & you have more than 1 Pavilion on hand.]

I have worked on a lot of Pavilion's with Nvidia Graphic problems. 95% of the time there would be no hard drive for the notebook or no recovery disc's. I know you can buy them from HP & I have done that in the past but I did have a problem with the idea that the disc's I purchased would only work on the notebook I ordered them for. I mean come on, I had almost 10 Pavilion's & I'm suppose to buy seperate dic's for each one???That's why I started messing around with hard drive cloning.

I guess the main thing is that I was able to repair this persons DV2000 in a day with no recovery disc's, instead of 4-5 day's, buying the recovery disc's & waiting for them to be shipped.

HP Recommended

Just looking for error codes... nothing anywhere - except this spec... maybe this is in std use.

Maybe this helps someone.

"The following table defines the content of the SELF-TEST RESULTS VALUE field.

Table 7 – Self-test results values
Value Description
0h The self-test routine completed without error.
1h The self-test routine was aborted by the application client.
2h The self-test routine was interrupted by the application client with a reset.
3h An unknown error occurred while the device server was executing the self-test routine
and the device server was unable to complete the self-test routine.
4h The self-test completed having a test element that failed, and the test element that
failed is not known.
5h The electrical segment of the self-test failed.
6h The servo (and/or seek) segment of the self-test failed.
7h The read/verify scan segment of the self-test failed.
8h-Dh Reserved
Eh The read/verify scan segment of the self-test is in progress
Fh The self-test routine is in progress

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.