Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Wild guess but your system "thinks" it has an external monitor attached.  

I went through something similar on my wife's laptop during the latest round of booting to an external drive to run diagnostics.  She had shut down her system AND turned off the external monitor.  Of course, the external is where everything still tried to display to.  I finally noticed the external was "off" and turned it on.  For some reason I wasn't able to get the "switch display" button (fn - F4?) to swap the display output.  That should have worked but didn't.

Cheers,

Dave

HP Recommended

Hi David:

My laptop also refuses to start apropriately and the screen got frozen. The short test gave the following error:

Error ID:  QTM8GW-5A679W-XD002K-60TS03

Product ID: XH068UA#ABA

My laptop is a G62-355DX

¿Do I need to replace my hard disk?

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

I booted my wife's laptop to Linux on an external hard drive.  I then ran the badblocks program in non-destructive mode.  That got her laptop functional for a while but then we had the same problem.  Tried it again and got her unstuck again but decided to replace the hard drive at that point.  Since the system was still functional, I was able to run Clonezilla and clone the drive so she didn't lose any data.

Your call if running badblocks gets your system back running.  I would plan on replacing it.

Cheers,

Dave

HP Recommended

***_CAREFUL NOW - THIS RESULT MAY HAVE SOME BELIEVING THEIR HD IS BAD_***

***** D O N'T__B U Y__A N O T H E R__U N T I L__Y O U__T E S T__Y O U R 'S ******

Not sure exactly why this issue happens - BUT is was INVALID results for my hard drive - which is only about a year old. Based on that fact - I just set the Laptop CMOS to 'Legacy mode' and decided to put Win7 back on until all the WHERE-WITH-NOT-ALL with Win8 gets cleaned up.

RESULTS YOU EXPECT TO HEAR:

I performed seek and surface tests with one of the programs on a FREE modern boot/repair CD - 'Victoria' I believe was the name AND NOT A SINGLE DATA SEEK READ ERROR (OR) SINGLE SURFACE BAD SPOT AFTER HOURS OF ANALYZING WAS DETECTED. I booted a Win7 DVD install which went perfectly and I'm using my laptop 2 months later without fail or hd issues. THAT is not to say one could not just have reinstall Win8 - but some may not have the DVD. They may only have the software on the repair partition which get tied up in this mess. Mine would NOT go any further, wouldn't boot - nothing on the screen - rediculous... looked dead...

CAUTION:

I ELECTED TO WIPE THE ENTIRE DISK DURING THE RE-WIN7 INSTALL WHICH ALSO WIPES YOUR REPAIR PARTITION - FOR ME I DIDN'T CARE - I FIGURED WITH WIN V8.1 UPDATE FREE AND DVDs AVAILABLE I'D MAKE MY OWN BACKUP WHEN THE TIME COMES TO UPGRADE AGAIN...

SUMMARY:

THE UEFI MANAGEMENT TAKES A LITTLE TO LEARN AND IS A PAIN TRYING TO GET AROUND THINGS - AND THAT EXACTLY WHAT OEMs WANT - MINIMAL USER TAMPERING.

THE GOOD SIDE

YOU HAVE MUCH BETER CHANCES OF SUCCESS AT RESTORING OR REPAIRING A REPAIRABLE ISSUE. IT IS SOME NICE MANAGEMENT FACILITY 'OUTSIDE' THE OPS TO HELP YOU GET TO THE TARGET OBJECTIVE - GET YOUR SYSTEM BACK UP.

THE DOWN SIDE

THE HD CHECKING FACILITY THAT PRODUCES 'DST' READING ERRORS - IF IT THINKS YOU HAVE ONE YOU JUST CANNOT RESTORE OR GET YOUR SYSTEM BACK UP WITH THE TOOLS THERE. IF YOU GET THIS ERROR AND ARE UNABLE TO RESTORE YOUR SYSTEM - I WOULD SEEK A FRIEND THAT KNOWS HOW TO TEST THE HD WITH A UTILITY AND RE-INSTALL THE OPERATING SYSTEM IF THE HD CHECKS OK. YOU'LL NEED TO SEARCH FOR A WIN DVD - BECAUSE YOU PROBABLY DON'T HAVE ONE - WIN V8.1's ARE OUT THERE.

I'M DISAPPOINTED THAT SUPPORT STAFF APPEAR TO COME TO ONLY ONE CONCLUSION HERE - REPACE THE HD - AFTER A YEAR OF REGULAR USE... COME ON... MOST HD'S CARRY A 3 TO 5 YEAR WARRANTY - MAYBE YOU DON'T GET THAT IN A DELIVERED SYSTEM BUT THE OEM MOST LIKELY GETS THAT.

COME ON "H/P" YOU CAN DO BETTER THEN THIS!

Good Luck,

Seek a friend to test your HD - before you buy another 1 year warranty HD!

Regards,

STeve

HP Recommended
I do not have a warranty what can you do to help me?
HP Recommended
Greetings, Wow I just lost an hour of text for you by hitting preview - wiped it and didn't show preview... Maybe this would be better handled in an email - out of time... If you would like to contact me: st3v3 dot 2ooo at gmail dot com (three little oh's) I'll re-write the response I lost earlier for you. First question, are you experienced at applying utilities to evaluate the HD yourself? IF NOT Do you know someone that can help you with this? These are not the only options BUT they may be the fastest ones... Thanks, Respectfully, STeve
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

One week. Two HP laptops. Both fail with the Short DST error. Seems to me that someone developed a sweet little "planned obsolesence" feature into the BIOS. Way too coincidental. Or cheap a$$ part. One or the other. Both laptops about 3-4 years old.

HP Recommended

Sorry. Just checked a third HP Pavillion laptop. Guess what: Short DST failed.

Guess which brand of laptop I will be steering clear of?

Hint:  HP.

How normal is it to have 3 HP laptops, all less than 5 years old, fail at roughly the same time?

HP Recommended

2lawrence,  australia

09/06/2012 bought:  HP Pavilion DV6-7031TX Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) Laptop
Product Number B3K21PA#ABG,  with **bleep** Smith extended warranty

27/03/2014 Laptop does not start up and system crashes
Sent to LapyKing Pty Ltd, fixed under **bleep** Smith extended warranty, they
Replaced Hard Disk + Re imaged HP Image  with:

Hitachi Travelstar 5K1000 2.5''/ 1TB/ SATA 6GB/ s/ 5400RPM/ 8MB Model 0J22413
The Hitachi Travelstar 5K1000 is a 5400RPM, 500GB/platter, 1TB 2.5 inch hard drive. this 9.5mm drive

Laptop works OK until december

14/12/2014  Laptop does not start up,  I wait till after holidays to try to find problem!

21/01/2015  turn on the computer and immediately press the esc key to display the Startup Menu. Press the Diagnostics test:  Hard Disk Short Failed ID:  RGBX81-63G7GM-QFPKOJ-60XT03

Questions: what does this mean? does the Hard drive need to be replaced? can the HP system recovery save

information from the hard drive?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.