Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6-3122us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The laptop is allocating an unresonable amount of RAM to the hardware (probably the iGPU). It came with 2x2GB sticks and only has 1.74GB available. When I upgrade to 2x4GB there is only 4GB available. 

The issue seemingly appeared out of nowhere. This was not a problem when I first purchased the laptop.

I have tried:

- Update BIOS to most recent version (F.29) System Board 143F.

- Ran memory diagnostic

- Ran full system diagnostic

- Clear the CMOS. Removed battery, power cable and CMOS battery and held power button down for 30 seconds. 

- Replaced RAM with known good RAM

- Replaced HDD with SSD

- Tried clean Win7 and clean Win10 installs

- Performed ritual ceremony to the IT gods.

I understand that my laptop is very much out of warranty. However, this is clearly an issue with HP hardware and upon doing research I am definitely not the only one having the problem. My laptop is perfectly fine for use as long as the memory issue can be resolved. I would hat to have to trash this laptop and fork over hundreds just for a faulty motherboard/BIOS that was out of my control.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Sitruk,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the memory on your HP Pavilion dv6-3122us Entertainment Notebook PC is showing as 4GB even when the installed memory is 8GB.

This issue could occur if one of the slots are not detecting the memory card.

Let's go through a few steps to troubleshoot this issue.

I suggest that you swap the memory cards in the slots and check.

You may also check the link on how to upgrade memory (RAM):  Upgrading Memory (RAM)

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

If you notice the troubleshooting I performed on the PC you will see that I made sure the RAM sticks and the computer's ability to see the RAM sticks is not the issue. The BIOS can see the total RAM installed but it reserves too much to hardware. Windows can also see the total RAM installed but it shows how much is available and how much is reserved to hardware. 

Please be sure to read my original post carefully and you sill see I performed all the typical troubleshooting for this issue. 

This is 100% an issue with the motherboard or the BIOS. 

HP Recommended

@Sitruk,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue still persists after following the steps provided in the previous interaction.

You may increase the virtual memory of the computer by following the steps listed below:

1.Right click on Computer and open Properties. 
2.Select Advanced System Properties 
3.Click Advanced tab 
4.Under Performance, click Settings 
5.Under Performance Options, click Advanced tab 
6.Here under Virtual memory pane, select Change 
7.Uncheck Automatically manage paging file size for all drives 
8.Highlight your system drive 
9.Select Custom size 
10.Change the Initial size value and the Maximum size value to a higher value 
11.Click Set 
12.Finally Click Apply/OK all the way. 

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended
The virtual memory is irrelevant. This is related to the hardware's ability to use the appropriate and mount of RAM installed.

The computer is physically allocating more than 50% of the installed RAM to hardware (iGPU) no matter how much is installed. 4GB installed, 1.74GB available. 8GB installed 3.8GB available. This happens no matter how many sticks are installed or their configuration.

In order to have this resolved the motherboard most likely will need to be serviced.
HP Recommended

@Sitruk,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

In order to isolate the issue, please get back to us with the screenshot of the RAM information.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

This is going nowhere. The issue is that the video card is grabbing too much of the system memory and holding onto it. None of the suggestions so far have even addressed what is happening here.

Without an adjustment in the BIOS, which this laptop dies not have, I can see no solution to this issue. I do not recall this being a widespread problem with this model. 

HP Recommended

HI what is the solution if hardware reserved 1.1 GB in HP thin clinet t620 ?

Even i tried to change UMA buffer size to 512MB but nothing effect still same hardware reserverd 1.1 GB.

Is it really fixed memory for hardware regardless of how much have you set?

I have HP thin-client t620 having 4 Gb of RAM but 1.1 GB is used or reserved for hardware and facing low memory issue for normal operation tasks ?

Any solution is appreciated !

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue. 
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.