Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I really read how  to find my PN and SN:

How Do I Find My Product Number and Serial Number?
The Serial Number (s/n) is a ten-digit alpha-numeric number that is unique to your product.
The Product Number (p/n) is a six or seven-digit alpha-numeric number that identifies your product. If there is a pound sign (#) or a dash (-) in the p/n, enter only the letters and numbers before the # or - sign.
Both numbers can be found on the Universal Product Code (UPC) or Service Tag sticker located on the back, side, or bottom of your product (see picture below).
STICKER EXAMPLE (Your sticker may look different)

But, I really when I looked at my Sticker located on the back of my laptop, I didn't find any SN (Serial Number), PN(Product Name), PN(Product Number). All what I found on that sicker is: Serial number for Windows 7 Home premium 64Bit which came preinsalled on my laptop.

I think that the sticker  containing my SN/PN got lost.

Thus, could you kindly let me know how to find SN (Serial Number), PN(Product Name), PN(Product Number) of my laptop ' HP Pavilion dv6-6093ex'?

NOTE: I have  upgraded to an operating system did not come with my PC .

Also, I didn't install 'HP Support Assistant'

Thus, since I didn't find my SN/PN on the sticker back on my laptop, I really had to bring my warranty card given to me three years ago. However, what would be  If I had lost that wrranty card.????????????????

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Plase check the battery chamber, the sticker may be in there. Or use the following instructions:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@banhien wrote:

Hi,

Plase check the battery chamber, the sticker may be in there. Or use the following instructions:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Regards.

Thanks a lot,

No, no I am quite sure that there is no sticker on the battery at all. There is one sticker on the back of my laptop, however, as said before, it only contains the product key of Windows 7 which came with my laptop from the factory.

I  fairly remeber that there were two stickers on the back of my laptop, however one of them containing my SN/PN got lost. However, the other one containing the product key of Windows is still there.

That link sent by you will not help me since  my  computer  has been upgraded to an operating system which did not come with my PC . Also, I don't have  HP  Support assitant' installed on my system.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I really had to install HP  Support assitant to know my SN. However, this would be very bad way if it would be the only way to know my PN, SN

Why do you not put the sticker cotaining such important information on a very safe palce since on the back of laptop is not safe place at all?  It can be got lost or scratched over time.

HP Recommended

cooperator

As you say, the information could be vital. 

Commentary

You might treat this information like you would anything on which you place value: 

Protect it.  Write down the Serial Number of your computer and place the information in a safe location.  Do not trust labels and your memory for such information.

If the notebook / computer is stolen, having a decent label on the computer is not much use regardless of that label's location or condition.

Possible Option:

Windows OS - Health Check provides this information.

Examples

Windows 8

Windows key + y (Opens the System) >

Performance Information and Tools >

Advanced Tools > Generate a system health report

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows 8.1

Control Panel > icon view > Administrative Tools > Performance Monitor >

Data Collector Sets > System > System Performance >

Right-Click on System Performance > Start

Wait around for one minute....

Next - look at the report:

Left Column >> leave Data Collector Sets and go to >

Reports > System > System Performance >> select report to view

Reports saved in C:\PerfLogs\System\Performance and C:\PerfLogs\System\Diagnostics

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to show you appreciate the help and time from our Experts.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Click Accept as Solution when the Answer is a good Fix or Workaround!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi,

No, not on the battery, you must remove the battery to see the sticker. How old is your machine ? Is it you original machine or you bought from someone else ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks a lo both of you, yes I found them under the place where battery is placed.

HP Recommended

Why do you not make all the important information be etched on the back of the computer instead of being written on stickers?:
Product Name, Product number, Serial Number, and Product key(Serial Number) of Windows 7 which came with my laptop.

HP Recommended

I would guess it costs too much.

You could do this yourself; it is a good idea.

Get a stencil and etch the information. 

You should do this to all your electronics -- mark everything with a unique number / symbol so if it is stolen that you can inform the police that the item is marked with the number / symbol "so and such". 

There are two kinds of people in the world: 

Those who have lost data and those who will lose data

The same is true for hardware.

Mark your stuff. 

Don't depend on a sticker.

Your instincts are right - follow through and do something about it.

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to show you appreciate the help and time from our Experts.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Click Accept as Solution when the Answer is a good Fix or Workaround!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot,

First of all:

I know that:

Stencilling produces an image or pattern by applying pigment to a surface over an intermediate object with designed gaps in it which create the pattern or image by only allowing the pigment to reach some parts of the surface.

Etching is the process of using strong acid or mordant to cut into the unprotected parts of a metal surface to create a design in intaglio in the metal.

I could etch the back of my computer to reduce a label containing (my Serial number, product number, and product name, as well as serial number of my Windows coming with my laptop) since this needs a device. Also, my laptop will be affected.

To etch into the label side in such a way that an image is produced, you need a device and a proficient person.

Thus, I am asking why all companies, such HP don't do such a way to protect customers' vital information from being lost on the stickers which can be scratched

@Dragon-Fur wrote:

Mark your stuff. 

Don't depend on a sticker.

Your instincts are right - follow through and do something about it.

I know that 'Lightscribe-enabled Optical Disc Drive' is optical disc recording technology, created by the Hewlett-Packard Company, that uses specially coated recordable CD and DVD media to produce laser-etched labels with text or graphics, as opposed to stick-on labels and printable discs. But these drivers can only etch lightscribe DVD/CD.
However, Do you think that etching devices would be as easy as writing with pencil on a paper. Are there any etching devices in the markets which can let a user enter the thing(serial number, product name of hardware, and so on) into that device, and then that device etches it as an image into the area of hardware intended to be etched
For instance: My serial number is: 45kjhk. Then, I will type in '45kjhk' via the etching device, then etching device will itself print this as etching image on the hardware needed to be etched.
Thus, I will never be faced with a problem losing such vital information.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.