Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a new HP Envy 14 Ultrabook.  It has a backlit keyboard.  I know many people like that "feature", but I don't.  I assumed it would be easy to turn off the light in the control panel (e.g., in the device's settings), but there is no option. 

I can hit the F5 key to turn off the general lighting, but then that F5 key glows blindingly bright all the time.  I want to either completely disable the keyboard backlights, or equivalently set the light level to be dim to the point of being completely off.  But I can't find any setting to do that in the power options, device properties, etc.  Nor has this question been satisfactorily answered in any other forums that I could find. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

F5 is to turn off, there is no option to DIM keyboard backlight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3v29Hyag_o

Regards,
WW
“I am an HP Employee“
***** Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem***
HP Recommended

As I stated, I know about the F5 key, but when I press that key to turn off the general backlight, THAT KEY outshines the sun.  There are MANY situations in which one doesn't bright, or even dim, lights near the screen (e.g. when watching a movie). 

There must be a way to turn off all the keyboard lights...even the stupid wireless active light.

HP Recommended

I am afraid, key and wireless /mute key can not be disabled.

Regards,
WW
“I am an HP Employee“
***** Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem***
HP Recommended

Hi,

For other older notebook computers with a backlit keyboard, try one of the following methods depending on your model, to turn the backlit keyboard on or off.
  • If the spacebar has a keyboard icon on the left side, press and hold the fn key and then tap the space bar one time.
  • Press the f12 key.
  • Press the f5 key.

Regards.
BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
Well, Waseem's response is disappointing, and Banhien's response is worthless.

Even if the people at HP were moronic enough not to include a function to turn off the annoying lights, perhaps a super-savvy hardware person out there can think of a way to achieve this end through other means.

I mean, it's a computer, not magic. Maybe nothing short of cutting the wire that powers the lights will work, but it's hard to believe it'd be that severe. Maybe a registry key, or something in the bios, or a batch file that makes the keyboard think it's off while also making the F5 key think it's off. Presumably somebody out there actually knows how these things work and how to make them work better.
HP Recommended

I haven't tried this on a laptop but I've used it on all kinds of too-bright led's like on the electric toothbrush or the HEPA filter or modem, etc.:

Take some nail polish and paint the bulb. A dark color or lighter color depending on how much light you want to block. Sometimes I paint the lights on things completely with dark nail polish and I've never had it cause a problem.

Since the bulb doesn't put out that much lumens it shouldn't hurt it and the worst case scenario would be that the bulb burns out and you replace it, or at least I think that would be the worst case scenario.

On my Pavilion the f5 button turns the backlight on and off just fine though the power button is a bit too bright. I may paint it with nail polish.

That said, when I do turn my backlight on using f5, it is much too bright and I really wish HP would make this adjustable. Why the heck wouldn't they?? I could paint that light but I really don't want to open up my computer, I'm superstitious that way.

HP Recommended

i see no options to on the my keyboard light when im in dark , please help me out thanks in advance 

HP Recommended

Envy laptop.   Is there a way to make the backlight brighter ? (As bright like the power button would be nice.) It is so dim the keys look like they have not letters or numbers on them. Just enough light to match the silver keyboard and now it looks like all the numbers and letters are gone.  F5 plus arrow up and down keys do nothing.

HP Recommended

Hi @J-Nutty,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand you are having issues with the backlit keyboard on your HP Envy laptop. Don't worry I'll try my best to help you with this,

If your notebook computer has a backlit keyboard, there is a special key on the keyboard to turn the light on and off. Use the backlight in dim lighting situations.

Please go through this link: Click here

Press and hold the Fn key and the press the dedicated key couple of times which would help to increase and decrease the brightness of the backlit keyboard.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.