Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp envy 14-2090eo
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I was told that my laptop supports uefi and gpt, but with diskpart and list disk i can see that im currently running mbr "there is no asterisk under gpt", so how do i change to gpt partition, so i can benefit from faster boot times and so on ? For all the times i have reformatted my laptop with the recovery disks i burned when the laptop was new, i have never seen anything where i can change to uefi. Shouldnt the recovery disks select gpt when formatting, if my laptop supports uefi and gpt ?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards

hpenvy1

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

There several ways to convert your mbr disk to gpt disk.

1. Try Diskpart command from the following steps:

click "Start", and input "diskpart" in the search box.
input "list disk", and then select the MBR disk you want to convert by typing "select disk x" (x is the number of MBR disk)
input "list partition", and then select the existing partitions and delete all of them by typing "delete partition x" command.
 input "convert gpt".

2. Try some conversion software to do that. I recommend AOMEI  Partition Assistant, check the folliowing link:

http://www.disk-partition.com/gpt-mbr/convert-mbr-to-gpt-without-data-loss.html

After finish the conversion, please enter into the BIOS to change the boot mode from Legacy to UEFI.

HP Recommended
Use easeus partition maker to convert MBR to GPT without any data loss 🙂

If you don't want to buy above Tool you can still convert to gpt by this method (in this step you will lose everything stored in hdd)
1: Create UEFI supported bootable USB using free tool Rufus.
2: Enable uefi support in bios and boot into USB.
3: Once you reach at Windows installation directory page press shift+esc and type these commands one by one
Diskpart
List disk
Select disk 0
Convert gpt
4: Now create partitions as your need and install windows.
Now you can take full advantage of uefi:)
HP Recommended

Hello,

It can be done easily, but from my personel experience I would suggest you to first take backup of your important files and folder. After that perform the steps to change partition type. 

Last month I also searching the solution for same and luckily found a informative write up. Here I found complete suggestion, Upu can also check it from here,

https://www.softwarepro.org/blog/convert-mbr-partition-to-gpt/

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.