Note on archived topics.
05-21-2015 07:33 AM
Hi all, I'm trying to figure out how to boot from the Acronis bootable USB flash drive in my HP Spectre x360. I place the USB flash drive in the USB port, I reboot and press ESC+F9, but the USB flash drive does not show in the boot options and the laptop boots directly into windows. Can someone explain what is the procedure to be able to boot from a bootable USB flash drive in this laptop? Thanks
05-21-2015 07:54 AM
You must have secure boot enabled in the BIOS
Press F10 at the HP startup logo
go to advanced/system configuration and look for this
Sometimes it is in the boot options
Disable Secure boot and check if the F9 menu can find your USB flash Drive
Another additional thing that you may have to do is to enable legacy mode if the BIOS allows/has this option.
I'm an HP Employee.The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
05-21-2015 08:00 AM
Welcome and Thank You for posting your query on HP Support Forum.
As I understand you want to boot from a USB flash drive. To achieve this you will need to check if USB Disk is set as first boot device.
To do that please follow the steps below
1. Shutdown the PC
2. Press the Power button and keep tapping F10
3. You will get to the BIOS screen
4. Navigate to "System Configuration"
5. Click on Boot Options
6. In UEFI Boot order please move the "USB Diskette" option to topmost in the list
7. Press F10 and save changes and Exit
8. Let the Unit restart and if the USB is plugged in it should boot from the USB automatically without any user intervention
Please even check that the USB Key you are using is a Bootable USB by trying the same on a different unit
Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again
**Click the KUDOS/Thumbs Up button to say Thanks**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
05-21-2015 12:26 PM - edited 05-21-2015 12:42 PM
Thanks for your replies, but unfortunately nothing works. Let me give you the facts:
- I have a bootable USB flash drive, in my PC that has Win 8.1x64 when I press F8 during POST the Boot Menu appears and shows the USB flash drive as an option, when I choose it, it boots perfectly fine from it and shows the Acronis menu.
- In my HP Spectrex360 I set the BIOS options as suggested: Secure Boot disabled, Legacy Support enabled and both UEFI and Legacy boot sequence is set with "USB diskette" in 1st place.
- I plugged the bootable USB flash drive in one of the USB ports of the laptop, power it on, press ESC, then press F9 and I'm directed to the Boot Menu. It does not show the USB flash drive as a boot option, it only shows the following: "Boot from EFI file" and "Notebook Hard Drive".
- I tried the above procedure plugging the bootable USB flash drive in all 3 USB ports of the HP Spectre x360 unsuccessfully.
If instead I try this procedure , the USB flash drive will show as "UEFI USB", if I select it, the laptop restarts and in POST it displays a message "Unable to boot from selected device. Press ENTER to continue", when I do so it redirects to the Boot Manager with the above mentioned boot options.
Any hint? Thanks