cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Casiopeia
Level 2
13 8 0 4
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How to boot from USB flash drive?/HP Spectre x360

HP Spectre x360 - 13-4003dx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi all, I'm trying to figure out how to boot from the Acronis bootable USB flash drive in my HP Spectre x360. I place the USB flash drive in the USB port, I reboot and press ESC+F9, but the USB flash drive does not show in the boot options and the laptop boots directly into windows. Can someone explain what is the procedure to be able to boot from a bootable USB flash drive in this laptop? Thanks

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Level 7 redlofredlof
Level 7
813 779 66 160
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You must have secure boot enabled in the BIOS

Press F10 at the HP startup logo

enter BIOS

go to advanced/system configuration and look for this

Sometimes it is in the boot options

Disable Secure boot and check if the F9 menu can find your USB flash Drive

Another additional thing that you may have to do is to enable legacy mode if the BIOS allows/has this option.

:generic:

I'm an HP Employee.The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answerAccept as Solutionif it solves your problem.

Abhinab_Assists
Level 3
40 40 3 16
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Casiopeia

Welcome and Thank You for posting your query on HP Support Forum.

As I understand you want to boot from a USB flash drive. To achieve this you will need to check if USB Disk is set as first boot device. 

To do that please follow the steps below

1. Shutdown the PC

2. Press the Power button and keep tapping F10

3. You will get to the BIOS screen

4. Navigate to "System Configuration"

5. Click on Boot Options

6. In UEFI Boot order please move the "USB Diskette" option to topmost in the list

7. Press F10 and save changes and Exit

8. Let the Unit restart and if the USB is plugged in it should boot from the USB automatically without any user intervention

Please even check that the USB Key you are using is a Bootable USB by trying the same on a different unit

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the KUDOS/Thumbs Up button to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You
Abhinab_Assists

Casiopeia
Level 2
13 8 0 4
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your replies, but unfortunately nothing works. Let me give you the facts:

- I have a bootable USB flash drive, in my PC that has Win 8.1x64 when I press F8 during POST the Boot Menu appears and shows the USB flash drive as an option, when I choose it, it boots perfectly fine from it and shows the Acronis menu.

- In my HP Spectrex360 I set the BIOS options as suggested: Secure Boot disabled, Legacy Support enabled and both UEFI and Legacy boot sequence is set with "USB diskette" in 1st place.

- I plugged the bootable USB flash drive in one of the USB ports of the laptop, power it on, press ESC, then press F9 and I'm directed to the Boot Menu. It does not show the USB flash drive as a boot option, it only shows the following: "Boot from EFI file" and "Notebook Hard Drive".

- I tried the above procedure plugging the bootable USB flash drive in all 3 USB ports of the HP Spectre x360 unsuccessfully.

If instead I try this procedure , the USB flash drive will show as "UEFI USB", if I select it, the laptop restarts and in POST it displays a message "Unable to boot from selected device. Press ENTER to continue", when I do so it redirects to the Boot Manager with the above mentioned boot options.

Any hint? Thanks

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation