Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am trying to password protect a file on my hard drive, how can I do it? and is it possible to do it without buying new software?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you need to password protect and/or encrypt data you frequently use, you will need to install a third-party program that will enable you to protect your files and folders. Below are some free and commercial solutions.

• AxCrypt - An excellent free encryption utility that enables users to encrypt all files within a folder and not allow those files to be viewed unless a passphrase (password) is known.
  • WinCry - A freeware utility that enables your files to be encrypted, secure deletion, as well as other helpful methods of protecting your files.
  • Folder Guard - A commercial version of a password protection software that enables you to password protect files, folders, and other Windows resources.

Things to remember when encrypting or password protecting files and folders

1. There is no such thing as a 100% protected file. There are numerous tools, utilities, and instructions for how to break a lot of the encryption and passwords on files. However, the protection methods listed above will protect your files from the majority of users who may encounter them. If you're working with really sensitive data we suggest a commercial product for protecting your files and data.
  2. Even though a file or folder may be password protected it still can be deleted (unless the program supports the ability to protect files from being deleted). Always remember to backup all your files, even those protected by passwords.
  3. If you forget the password, unless you're willing to spend the time attempting to break it or pay someone else to break the password, all your file data will be lost. Unless you've made a backup of the non-password protected data.

Additional information:

• If you're wanting to simply password protect your Microsoft Word or Microsoft Excel documents see document CH000748.
I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Which OS are you using?

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
HP Recommended
Right-click on the file and select Properties. Somewhere in Properties should be an area to select to protect it.

If this doesn't help, I'll post back later with the step-by-step process. I'm not at a computer right now.
HP Recommended

I'm sorry for my previous post.  I thought I knew how to do it, but I can't remember now.

HP Recommended

Are you talking about a share PC with a few profiles on it?

If you right click on the file > Properties > Security Tab

You'll see a list of users with access rights to the file... (Admin, System etc)

You can add your profile and remove all others, only you can access it after that.

You don't need a password on the file, just make sure there is a password on

you PC account.

HP Recommended

Sorry on the subject line it shoud read, how to password protect a folder?

I just purchased a hp dv7 with windows 7 on it and I was wondering if there is a  way to set up a specific folder with password protection.

HP Recommended

no it is not a shared computer only one profile on it, but the computer I just purchase has simple pass protection "finger print scanner" and that got me wondering if password protecion on a specific folder was possible.

HP Recommended

I am using windows 7 on a HP Pavilion dv7

HP Recommended

If you need to password protect and/or encrypt data you frequently use, you will need to install a third-party program that will enable you to protect your files and folders. Below are some free and commercial solutions.

• AxCrypt - An excellent free encryption utility that enables users to encrypt all files within a folder and not allow those files to be viewed unless a passphrase (password) is known.
  • WinCry - A freeware utility that enables your files to be encrypted, secure deletion, as well as other helpful methods of protecting your files.
  • Folder Guard - A commercial version of a password protection software that enables you to password protect files, folders, and other Windows resources.

Things to remember when encrypting or password protecting files and folders

1. There is no such thing as a 100% protected file. There are numerous tools, utilities, and instructions for how to break a lot of the encryption and passwords on files. However, the protection methods listed above will protect your files from the majority of users who may encounter them. If you're working with really sensitive data we suggest a commercial product for protecting your files and data.
  2. Even though a file or folder may be password protected it still can be deleted (unless the program supports the ability to protect files from being deleted). Always remember to backup all your files, even those protected by passwords.
  3. If you forget the password, unless you're willing to spend the time attempting to break it or pay someone else to break the password, all your file data will be lost. Unless you've made a backup of the non-password protected data.

Additional information:

• If you're wanting to simply password protect your Microsoft Word or Microsoft Excel documents see document CH000748.
I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
HP Recommended

Vldya is correct,

Microsoft doesn't have passwords for folders and files.

If you do it the way i said it'll work... no one can access the file/folder

if you are the only one with access rights.

passwords is a very dated way of thinking.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.