cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Heisenberg653
Level 1
8 5 0 1
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

How to reinstall Windows 10

HP Recommended
-
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a laptop with Windows 8 in the factory image.

I installed Windows 10 but had some issue with 3rd party softwares.

It's a general question, not related to a laptop model.

How to reinstall Windows 10 ? Do I need to put back the factory image ? It's seems the Windows 10 upgrade works only with Windows 8.1

With the factory image, the steps will be:

-Restore the factory image
-Install all windows update in Windows 8.0 to get the Windows 8.1 update
-update drivers
-Install Windows 8.1
-Install all windows 8.1 update to get Windows 10

-Install Windows 10

It's seems to be a very long process.

What's the recommended way to reinstall Windows 10 ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
shushlik
Level 3
25 25 4 7
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended
0 Kudos
erico
Level 17
Level 17
47,949 42,189 4,642 12,403
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In order to install and have it self activate when online, you have to have previously activated copy of Windows Vista, 7, 8 or 8.1 installed to perform an upgrade to Windows 10.

Installing a clean copy of Windows 10 will require a seperately purchased license. 

I am not an HP Employee.
Don't forget to click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops or desktop PCs, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to locate the Product number (SKU)
0 Kudos
shushlik
Level 3
25 25 4 7
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After upgrade from Win 7 or 8 and activation, it is possible to do Win 10 clean install. Just skip serial number as activation take place automatically by using hardware information.

0 Kudos
Heisenberg653
Author
Level 1
8 5 0 1
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't want to do a clean. I don't want to install every driver.

Is it possible to upgrade the Windows 8 factory image (not 8.1) directly to Windows 10, keeping all drivers ?

There is 144 important update in Windows 8, only to have access to Windows 8.1 installation page in Windows store. 

I don't want to take one week to install Windows 10

0 Kudos
erico
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You will have to do the updates to Windows 8 before upgrading. 

Once that is done you can use the following link to upgrade your OS to Windows 10 by using the media creation tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10  

I am not an HP Employee.
Don't forget to click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops or desktop PCs, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to locate the Product number (SKU)
0 Kudos
Joachim123
Level 1
9 8 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

" Installing a clean copy of Windows 10 will require a seperately purchased license. "

I assume that includes the Windows 10 license that comes with Windows 10 preinstalled HP PCs?

0 Kudos
erico
Level 17
Level 17
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Joachim123 wrote:

" Installing a clean copy of Windows 10 will require a seperately purchased license. "

I assume that includes the Windows 10 license that comes with Windows 10 preinstalled HP PCs?

You are making an incorrect assumption. Read the previous posts a bit more carefully.  The original author's PC is not one that had preinstalled Windows 10, so that has nothing to do with it.

Are you perhaps thinking out loud?  .

This is a thread authored by a person who is asking questions related to the options that are available to him.

I am not an HP Employee.

0 Kudos
Joachim123
Level 1
9 8 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Of course I am only interested in solving my own problem. Can I or can I not use the metod mentioned in this thread to reinstall Windows 10?

0 Kudos
Joachim123
Level 1
9 8 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please ignore previous post - I confused this thread with another.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation