Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Every time I hit caps or num lock on my Elitebook 8460w I get a notification in the lower right of my screen that its been turned on/off.

How do I get rid of these?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings, I know you posted a long time ago but I can't leave a post on the internet alone without an answer. I have a HP Elitebook 85XXp and I had the caps lock issue too. What I did was I went to processes in task manager and stopped QLB Controller. If you type msconfig in the windows and go into startup or services, you can end / uncheck the QLC Controller service. This worked for me, hope this helps future internet dwellers. Had to make an account just to post it.  

Edit: Mandatory XKCD ref: http://xkcd.com/979/

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

*bump*

I have to assume this is an easy setting to change. Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi,

you can turn it off by deinstall HOT KEYS driver but you loose control over the shot-cut keys 😉

regards

This cannot be the only solution to this. Why in the world would most people want a pop up every single time they press caps lock? There must be a way to disable these notifications without gimping my  laptop by removing all hot key functionality!

HP Recommended

There is one solution.

Install Linux.

regards

Greetings, I know you posted a long time ago but I can't leave a post on the internet alone without an answer. I have a HP Elitebook 85XXp and I had the caps lock issue too. What I did was I went to processes in task manager and stopped QLB Controller. If you type msconfig in the windows and go into startup or services, you can end / uncheck the QLC Controller service. This worked for me, hope this helps future internet dwellers. Had to make an account just to post it.  

Edit: Mandatory XKCD ref: http://xkcd.com/979/

HP Recommended

Excellent! This works perfectly. Nice to get a useful response instead of the completely assinine "use another OS" comment above.

Thanks a bunch!

HP Recommended

My Elitebook appears to have different software to that described above.

To stop these toasts / notifications I had to locate:

hpCaslNotification.exe

which I found at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Shared

I renamed it to:

hpCaslNotification.exe.bak

And now I don't get annoying toasts every time I move my mouse in or out of my vmware environment 🙂

As the guy above says.... future internet users - you're welcome.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the helpful replies. It was very annoying going in and out of a vm screen getting the num lock off num lock on popup. My OCD kicked into overdrive and it was driving me nuts. For me ending QLBController.exe and removing it from startup fixed it.

HP Recommended

super good solution, I FINALLY cleared away the annoying popups by doing what you said.

Bunch of thx~

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.