Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

That is correct.

Those are high end business notebooks and have failsafe security features.

Many US military agencies use that model because of some of the security features they have.

Even the new HP desktops starting with the dc7900 have stringent security features and you can't clear a BIOS password if stringent security was set. Gone is the foolproof remove the jumper to clear a password on an HP business desktop if stringent security was set in the BIOS.

Read the service manual for the notebook.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03308230/c03308230.pdf

You will find that there is no way to get rid of a BIOS password unless the motherboard is replaced or the CMOS chip removed and resoldered.

HP can't help you even if they wanted to.

Did you know that you were buying HP business notebook PC's with BIOS passwords on them? 

I sure hope not.

And if you didn't know, you were ripped off big-time.

HP Recommended

were can i get new cmos chips for the units we can not afford to trash these units please provide a link to a location were we can get a replament cmos chip thank you...

HP Recommended

Since I don't work for HP, I wouldn't know. 

They are not sold individually by HP.

They are part of the motherboard, and HP only sells the motherboards as a whole unit.

You would have to get them from the supplier who supplies the chips to the motherboard manufacturer.

I am pretty sure they can be desoldered, removed, a new chip installed and resoldered.

Bottom line:

I know absolutely nothing about the process of replacing a BIOS CMOS/password chip.

I suggest you start a new thread inquiring about this. Perhaps someone else can be of help to you in that regard.

Good luck. I sure hope you can get those notebooks to work.

HP Recommended

there is a simple solution

HP Recommended

Actually there are at least 2 methods ,both tested by me:

-read the eeprom, modify it,rewrite it - a modified level shifter + software + approx 45 minutes are needed;

-a software solution , approx 4 minutes ,but the laptop must be able to boot from cd/dvd/usb/sd.

I know nothing about soldering a new "chip"  but in theory as long as the datas are linked to serial number etc is unlikely to work.

HP Recommended

Thanks to a link provided on another similar post, I was able to find a solution using this HP Support document:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01798858&jumpi...

To quickly reach the article from the affected computer, I shortened the URL to  http://bit.ly/HPssm

Hope this helps people with similar issues!  🙂

HP Recommended

I'd be interested in the software solution that should take 4minutes...

Any more details ?

HP Recommended

Hi, I can help You, if You want.....

Bios crack is possible

HP Recommended

please help me if you want it is more important 

HP Recommended

Welcome Norine.

What model of laptop do you have???

REO

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.