Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi all,

I have HP envy J111Tx with windows 8.1. When I see display properties, it uses Intel Graphics instead of NVidia. In device manager I see both Nvidia and Intel. But I could not find a way to select Nvidia. I could not option even in BIOS. I checked with CPUID software. Its shows Intel as the default graphics. I tried to disable the intel driver in device manager. But it started using microsoft generic driver.

Can anybody tell me how do I solve it ?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@dmantamp wrote:

Hi all,

I have HP envy J111Tx with windows 8.1. When I see display properties, it uses Intel Graphics instead of NVidia. In device manager I see both Nvidia and Intel. But I could not find a way to select Nvidia. I could not option even in BIOS. I checked with CPUID software. Its shows Intel as the default graphics. I tried to disable the intel driver in device manager. But it started using microsoft generic driver.

Can anybody tell me how do I solve it ?

That makes two of us facing the same problem but in different Systems. Check out my thread here.

Hope some Experts come and make this clear for us.

HP Recommended

Can anybody from HP support help me with this ?

HP Recommended

Hello everyone,

To configure the NVIDIA graphics, all you need to do is open the NVIDIA Control Panel. This can be searched for, or you can right-click on the desktop and it may appear. Updating the NVIDIA driver for your notebook is also a suggested option.

Please let me know your results. Thanks!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended
Thanks for responding SuperMario1.

I have tried it. I had opened the NVIDIA control panel, and made nvidia the default driver to be used while playing the game as mentioned in my post. The link is given above. You can see how I did that.

Still I can't see any GPU activity for nvidia while playing it.

I had once updated that driver through nvidia control panel & their website. The whole driver got corrupted, crashed & by Remote assistance by HP support executive, tried to uninstall NVIDIA & reinstall from HP product page.

Any other ideas?

thanks,
HP Recommended

Hello visruth,

I would not recommend installing the NVIDIA driver from NVIDIA's website or control panel. Right now, I would uninstall any NVIDIA driver installed, then restart the computer and download and install the proper one from the HP website: NVIDIA Graphics Driver

The reason for this is because the drivers on the HP website are tested to work with the product. Any drivers from NVIDIA are not tested, and have the possibility to fail, like what happened in your situation. To be honest, trying the driver originally may have caused permanent damage. However, I hope that isn't the case.

Please try this and let me know the results. Thanks!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended
Hi SuperMario1

I have installed the one given in the HP product site since a month or so.

I had earlier installed nvidia driver when i got the laptop 3 months back, from the nvidia control panel.
But i reverted that install to my product tested driver later on following a installer error that occurred through HPSA after getting the technical advice from HP customer executive.

I had no knowledge about these just after I bought my laptop 3 months back.

But, i want to inform you that the driver is indicated to be perfectly writing in the Device manager.
Actually both the integrated Intel driver & NVIDIA is marked working properly.

But the issue I'm facing now is I'm not able to make it work while playing games or let me put it simple- I'm not able to see the NVIDIA gpu load rise anything more than 0% while playing games even after making the change in NVIDIA control panel- to use it globally with high performance & changing my power plans to high performance.

Can you help me to use NVIDIA card while playing games or whatsoever?

I still don't think that my nvidia card has failed, if so there has to be something of that like indication in the system to detect it, rather than gpu usage right?

HP Recommended

Hi,

I see both nvidia and intel drivers are working fine. I don't see any issue in device manager. I don't have any problem in opening the settings window for both the drivers. But default is always set to intel. From the desktop display properties, I see that. I see the same in CPUI CPU-Z application. I want this to be changed to Nvidia by default.  I changed the settings in nvidia control panel to use high performance NVIDIA graphics. But no effect,

Thanks

D M

HP Recommended
Have you updated nvidia diver from nvidia site?
HP Recommended

@SuperMario1

This is my DirectX Tool showing nvidia graphic card active on my system, I still don't get to use NVIDIA while playing games, nvidia GPU usage is always 0%. Please advice:

This is my integrated Intel HD 4400 one present:

Hope this post clears the doubt you had earlier about if my nvidia card has been permanently damaged.

thanks,

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.