Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy m6 1125dx

I cant install any OS disks, including Windows 8.1. After I get so far along, the Windows install says there is no hard disk, but it is there!

I see my BIOS is way out of date. When I download the new BIOS from hp.com, I get an executable

that of course wont work on a computer that doesnt boot. Nor can I find the bios file when I run

the executable on another laptop.

So I would like to update the bios and uefi to see if that helps with my problem.

The current Bios is F.11

Fred

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@oakman2 wrote:

SP66782.exe is what I get when I download from HP web site. It is a windows executable that updates the

bios on the computer that is running it. 

I dont think it will run without windows also running.

Quite true. 

See the image below.

What is needed to be done is to extract the sp66782.exe file to a folder on the second computer.  

Rename the 018A4.FD file to 018A4.BIN and save it to the root of the usb flash drive.

Plug that flashdrive into a port on the problem notebook. 

Press the notebook's power button and immediately hold down the Windows key and the B key until the notebook reacts and begins the BIOS recovery. 

Hopefully that will recover the corrupt BIOS with the fresh copy that is on the flashdrive.   

There is a detailed description of another method to do this at the following 3rd party forum thread. 

https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-SUCCESS-SOLVED-Semi-bricked-a-HP-dv6-3225dx

Using that method does involve some risk that you will have to accept should you choose to follow that path to unbrick your notebook. Any BIOS update done manually is risky.

BIOS extract.jpg

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
HP Recommended

Hello,

if you want to update bios you can download bios update softpaq from hp.com and if you will run this softpaq on another uit you should be able to create USB bootable drive with which you will be able to flash latest bios.

I thnk that you will still have problems to even after bios update and the situation will remain same. I strongly recommend to contact HP support via phone and request HP recovery media (USB stick with original HP image) and do factory recovery from it. It will work well and you will have back your operating system.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Don't even consider updating the BIOS or UEFI until your notebook is up and running as it should be.

Test the hard disk from the BIOS. See the document on the following HP web document for instructions on how to do that.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-m6-1100-Notebook-PC-series/5296045/model/5312259/documen...

Is your notebook still in warranty?

Check your warranty status Here.

Have you created a usb recovery flashdrive?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi Oakman2,

Please follow the below instructions to Flas/update BIOS without HDD.

Instructions:

1 Insert the USB flash drive that you want to use to flash your BIOS into your computer.

2 Download the update for your BIOS from HP Website.

3 Copy the BIOS update file onto your USB flash drive. At the same time, make a note of the exact name and extension of the update file. Do not remove the USB flash drive from your computer.

4 Restart your computer.

5 Press the key required by your computer to enter the BIOS. This key will be written down on the screen. Press this key immediately as your computer starts to turn itself on.

6 Highlight "Boot" and then hit "Enter" to select it. Change the piece of hardware listed under "Primary Boot Device" to reflect your attached USB flash drive. This will tell your computer that you want to restart your computer and boot from the flash drive. Select "Save Changes and Exit" to restart your computer.

7 Wait a few seconds for a command prompt to appear on your computer screen. The command prompt is an entirely black screen with a small line of white text that you can type on. Once the command prompt appears, type in the name of the BIOS update file on your USB flash drive. Then hit "Enter."

8 Hit the "Y" keyboard key a single time to tell your computer that you want to update your BIOS. Your existing BIOS version will be upgraded (or "flashed") to the new version via the file on your USB flash drive. Do not remove the USB flash drive from your computer during this process.

9 Remove the USB flash drive from your computer once the BIOS update process is finished. The update program will indicate when the process is finished. Your computer will automatically restart itself and your BIOS will be updated.

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves/answers your problem****
****I am an HP Employee but I speak for myself and not for HP or Others.****

I work for HP.
HP Recommended

Have you disabled Secure Boot and Enabled Legacy Boot in BIOS?

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Yes, I had tried that.

HP Recommended

Did you try to download BIOS in USB..? did it give any error..?

I work for HP.
HP Recommended

In my original post:

When I download the new BIOS from hp.com, I get an executable

that of course wont work on a computer that doesnt boot. Nor can I find the bios file when I run

the executable on another laptop.

HP Recommended

Exactly, since it's a executable file. I have given instructions that you can try to install that file with the help of USB pen drive. Please let me know if you have tried the above steps provided in my first reply. SO that I can look for an alternate.

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves/answers your problem****
****I am an HP Employee but I speak for myself and not for HP or Others.****

I work for HP.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your interest. The first reply you sent didnt seem to make sense:

------------

1 Insert the USB flash drive that you want to use to flash your BIOS into your computer. 

YOU MEAN A WORKING COMPUTER, NOT THE ONE THAT IS BROKE. HAS NO HARD DRIVE, HAS NO OS, CANNOT BOOT.

2 Download the update for your BIOS from HP Website.

YES, THAT GIVES ME AN EXECUTABLE, NOT A BIOS FILE.

3 Copy the BIOS update file onto your USB flash drive. At the same time, make a note of the exact name and extension of the update file. Do not remove the USB flash drive from your computer.

4 Restart your computer.

5 Press the key required by your computer to enter the BIOS.

OOPS, I AM LOST. YOU MEANT THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT NEEDS A NEW BIOS THE WHOLE TIME?

Or are you saying that I can put a .exe file in the USB pen drive and boot from that? 

--------------

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.