Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have an Elitebook 8470p (H4F82EP) running Win7 64bit, connected to docking station.

I have one DVI monitor, a VGA monitor, plus the notebook display.

How should I do to have all the three displays working at the same time?

By following traditional procedures I cannot turn on more than 2 displays at the same time (any combination, but max 2 displays on at the same time)?

Thanks in Advance,

Matteo

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Good morning,

Huffer addressed a similar question just yestersay.  Take a look, I think it applies to your situation too.

Thanks,

GeorgeFN
I work on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Good Morning.

Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately, the other post talks about a Pavilion dv7 (no mention on which version/model), not an Elitebook like mine, and talks about HDMI not DVI.

Anyway, I decided to follow the phylosophy of the posted solution (i.e. the use of notebook display limits the max number of active displays to 2) and made a test: I connected 3 external monitors, leaving the notebook's lid closed (to avoid detecting notebook display). One monitor is on VGA, another on DVI, the third is using DisplayPort (connected thru DP->DVI adaptor from HP, to the monitor's DVI input). A note: I used both DP port on notebook and docking station, and the behaviour is always the same.

Also in this condition I see three available monitors from windows' settings, but every time I try to enable the third (any of the three left as third, I mean) when I press "apply" Windows says "impossible/unable to save settings" (sorry the error is actually in italian, so I'm giving you a rough translation).

So, still no solution. Help needed...

BR,

Matteo

HP Recommended

Matteo,

This really got to me, as I saw a colleague with the same equipment and three monitors functioning no problem.

I finally got my 3rd monitor in, so it was time to figure this out.

After struggling, the solution to get 3 displays on your 8470p with dock is:

DP and DVI out of the dock, and DP out of the laptop itself.

Enjoy!

HP Recommended

"DP and DVI out of the dock, and DP out of the laptop itself."

I have tried this configuration, it did not work.

Did you use DP2DVI cable?

HP Recommended
No, all my cables are direct - no adapters
HP Recommended

ok, figured it out.

DP2DVI is still counted as DVI, only DP will work.

Borrows two monitors with DP port, then it works.

HP Recommended
Awesome - another piece to the puzzle.

Can't handle display adapters over multiple monitor configurations > 2

Glad to hear you got it working
HP Recommended

Capture.JPG

HP Recommended

I know this is a really old thread and not sure i will get a reply, but worth the post.  This configuration worked for me by using the DP on dock, VGA on dock, and DP on laptop to get 3 displays working.  The only issue is that i can choose to extend across 3 displays or clone 3 displays.  But I want to extend over monitors 1 and 2 and clone 3 to 2.  When I choose those options under screen resolution, i get an unable to save changes message.  Any thoughts?  Any help is appreciated.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.