Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a bad battery. I recently lost power and laptop shut down. I plug in external power and restart the laptop. go to sign in and keyboard and mouse are not working looks to be lock? Any solution?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the following.

Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold  down the Power button for a full minute.  Plug in the AC Adapter ( leave the battery out ) and start the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I tried and did not work. When I restart it tells me that windows did not such down correctly. Gives me choice to go into safe mode or not. Its a HPg60.  Still cannot move the mouse or use keyboard.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Does the keyboard work as you start up - ie if you tap away at f10 as you start the notebook, does this open the bios menu?  If it does, what happens if you choose to start in Safe Mode?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

F10 works and I opened in safemode. Mouse arrow stuck in the middle will not move and I cannot type my password. Before I went to F10 I get a HP battery warning. Do I need to access the laptop with a usb keyboard? or install newbattery?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Your notebook should work on just AC power and with the battery removed.

Can you post back with the following.

1.  The full Model No. and Product No. of the notebook ( from the service tag underneath your notebook ) - see Here for a further explanation.

2.  The full version of the operating system you are using ( ie Windows 7 32bit ).

Try the following.

Shut down the notebook, remove the AC Adapter, remove the battery, plug in the AC Adapter, tap away at f10 as soon as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Press f5 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

See if this has had any effect.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

HP G60

model: G60-440us

P/N nw144ua#aba

Vista home

I tried and still not working. Do I have a bad driver for the keyboard/mouse pad? Thank you helping so far.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

Try the following as this should tell whether the problem is software or hardware related.

Follow the procedure on the link below to create a bootable Ubuntu CD and follow the steps in Part 3 to 'Try it' to see if this OS will run.  The 'Try it' option runs the OS from the CD without the need to install on your HDD - ( it will be slow running from a CD ), however if your Keyboard and Mouse still do not work correctly, this would strongly point towards a Hardware issue - let me know.

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem. I tried ubuntu as suggested and the mouse/track pad and keyboard works very fine. But not when i use win 7 OS. I have done the hard reset over and over again but it is not helping. Please help. 

I know its been years but i figured seeing as the issue has not been resolved completely i could ask for ur help.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi,

While this could be a hardware issue, it's always worth trying the following.

Open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager, expand Keyboards, right click 'Standard PS/2 Keyboard' and select Uninstall.

When this has completed, shut down the notebook.

Unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f5 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

Let windows fully load for a few minutes.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.