Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 15 Laptop
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I'm not really sure what's wrong with my laptop, it seems to be a software issue? 

When I attempt to turn it on it takes approximately 1-2hours to do so, when it turns on it says that it is "Getting things started" - going through to steps of a start up. After that it allows me to login to my user, once it loads up (10-15minutes) the screen appears blank. My apps are empty, nothing is visible apart from the windows icon at the bottom left and the date/time. 

I've had the laptop for about a year and a half now, and up until a few weeks ago it was fine. It kept randomly freezing but I left it at a computer repair shop to get fixed and, again, it was fine for a week or two. When I got it back the laptop said that "Windows update - Install" (the reason it froze the first time was due to it being stuck in the middle of a windows update, so i didn't update it)

If there is anything I could do to fix it, help would be much appreciated. I feel that it is either due to being stuck in the middle of an update again, or perhaps a virus? 

Thank you :generic:

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

More likely a dying hard drive or perhaps bad memory but virus is not impossible. Can you get into UEFI diagnostics by tapping F2 as you power up? 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.