Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

No problem at all.  Did you hear any sound when clicking the Test button?

Try plugging some headphones in and play some music.  With the music still playing, unplug the headphones and then plug them back in.  Do this quickly several times - I know it seems strange but I have seen this work!!

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Tried that too. Audio in the headphone. But even after removing and inserting the headphone pin, no audio in the speaker.
HP Recommended

Is there a way i can uninstall the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC Driver and install the one which came with the laptop ?

Since everytime i uninstall the former one and search for hardware changes , it installs the former one back again.

HP Recommended

Hi,

This is certainly puzzling!!

From the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and then open Device Manager.  Open up the Sound Video and Game Controllers tree, right click on the IDT High Definition Audio Codec and select Properties.  Click the Driver tab and the click Update Driver choosing to let Windows update from the Internet.  If it installs an updated driver, restart the PC to see if you now have any sound.

Could you also tell me how many days ago the sound stopped working.

Best wishes,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Did that too , no positive results.

One thing i noticed , i went into the properties of IDT High Definition Audio CODEC Driver and clicked on update driver.

Next thing i did was  clicked on Browse for driver on computer > Let me pick the drivers myself.

I picked this driver ( what i think was the original one) called as "High Definition Audio Device".

After successful update, still there was no sound in the speakers , but in the headphone.

So is it possible that my headphone jack has short-circuited so that the laptop always thinks that there is a headphone connection present and hence it does not reroute the audio to the speakers ?

HP Recommended

Hi,

It's possible there is some sort of short, but it seems a bit of a coincidence that this issue happened after updating the driver.

Could you post back on what date the sound last worked.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
It baffles me too, as to why would it even get short-circuited since i never really use the headphone jack anyway ! The audio was working perfectly fine till November 21 , 2010 - 22:00 Hrs GMT +5:30. It was after this when HP Support Assistant prompted me to update the Audio and Wireless drivers and showed them as Critical Updates. Soon realizing there was no Audio , i looked up various articles on the Internet and then finally decided to post it here.
HP Recommended

Hi,

To check if the update upset another part of Windows, try the following:

Shut down the PC.  Tap away at f8 as you start the PC to bring up Windows recovery console.  Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode and hit return.  When this mode has loaded up, click the Start Menu, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools and launch System Restore.  Pick a restore point a day before November 21 ( ie Nov 20 or Nov 19 ) and proceed with the Restore process.  When windows has rebooted, see if your speakers now work.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

David ! You're the MAN !!

IT worked !!

Thanking you a million times wouldn't be still enough.

Expect a lot of Kudo points from me ! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi again,

I'm really pleased you got your sound back and hope everything goes well for you.

Best wishes,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.