Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Well, hilariously, I just fixed my speakers today!

Tryied everything, uninstall, install, and then install w/o uninstall.

Did it several times.

No fix.

To my confusion, every time that I run a test on headphones, I got the sound in speakers if I was running some audio (like a Youtube) at the time.

So I always thought THIS IS FROM SOFTWARE.

An then I saw this Louis Armstrong fix, applyed and voila! There is sound!

Marvelous, hilarious and useful!

ProBook 6540B, 3.5 y old, the audio jack is used pretty much - maybe not on a daily basis, but every other day.

HP Recommended
Did it, it works!
Just no Compressed Air Cleaner, just Louis Armstrong method.
HP Recommended

Hi!

This did work for me! I thought: if this could work, it had to be a hardware fault/bad connection in the jack input, so I tried a lot, many times, fast in and out. And then, suddenly, the sound appeared in the speakers!

:LaughingTears:

HP Recommended

hi, i also have  this problem with idt no audio output device installed. it occured after an automatic update. i have encountered this problem before but i solved it easily. but the same steps are not working this time. for example, my 2nd option in device manager>games sounds controllers>1- idt sudio output device. 2  - intel R hd audio, the 2nd intel R is working fine, its the idt im having problems with.when i open the properties tab for it it doesnt give me the option to roll back driver as its greyed out. also when i install driver it says the best up to date software is already installed. but encountered a problem when downloading and needs a secondary ...... i have tried system restore a fer times but it doesnt work propperly and says restore was unsucessful! ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling, disable and enableing! im just stuck, if you could help it would be much appreciated. thanks in advance

HP Recommended

You seem to have some issues here. While system restore is not working properly for you (maybe not enough disk space?), you'd better uninstall the IDT completely and then reboot and reinstall.
Download the driver in advance and have it decompressed in c:\swsetup.

If you have a folder with the same name in swsetup, delete it, prior to decompress the fresh downloaded one.

I assume you do reboot at times - it is a very healthy diet for windows after all 😉

Btw, what does this mean:

"but encountered a problem when downloading and needs a secondary..."?

Donwloading what?

Secondary what?

best regards

HP Recommended

hi, thanks for the reply. when in device manager>sounds games controllers >idt audio output device> properties> it says:

Reinstall the drivers for this device. (Code 18)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.  so i click install, it then says the best driver software for your device is already installed. windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date. 

so i click the update driver option, and it comes back with :

windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device

windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error whilst attempting to install it.

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

the devices co-installer has additional work tp perform after installation is complete.

if you know the manufacturer of your device you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software.

(this is what i ment by secondery.. just couldnt remember what it said at the time, sorry )  🙂

i  have downloaded the idt audio output drivers, for compaq presario cq61-110sa.  saved it to c:/ and tried to reinstall it but it then says i need a different version ?? but this is the one for my operating system..  if you can advise from this what i could do next it would be much appreciated, thanks again. 

HP Recommended

alsos there is a windows install  update i need to do which is the idt audio output device one,  but everytime i try it says update failed. i checked the error code and it says it could be because its trying to update an already installed update or install a driver not as good as my current one!  😞

HP Recommended

hi all, i have finally fixed the problem.. so this may be a solution if all the above solutions have not worked for you.  due to the idt audio output device update installation failing and the system restore failing everytime i tried, i opened the control panel>hardware and sound>device manager>sound games controllers>(right click on IDT high def CODEC)>properties>driver>select uninstall. then open start windows> computer> local disc c: >  delete WDM file> and IDT file. 

make sure you go straight to download your specific make/models sound drivers and save to c:drive> dont install yet..

now reboot your device. upon starting your device will automatically scan and notify you of driver installations needed via windows update installation. just click yes to install. all done, good as new 🙂  seems my device had tried to install a corrupted file relating to IDT upon automatic install update process, so i had to remove all the idt driver/files completely from device before installing a fresh  set. hope this helps someone. 

HP Recommended

Nice to see the problem solved.

You have to solve the system restore issue, too.

Do you have enough space on disk c:\? Like some 25% or more?

HP Recommended

The Roll Back option is disabled. How do i get it enabled?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.