Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 15-an051dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I am having an issue with the internal microphone.  I was just using it the other day with out any problems, and now today it keeps auto muting itself.  I have used the HP link http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03421813/ and went step by step.  Those did not work.  I researched and updated all drivers and bios.  This did not work either.

I have repeatedly gone into the recording device properties and adjusted the levels, which did allow me a brief moment of talking, followed immediately by muting itself.  I can see this has been a repetitive problem with HP's and I am hoping for a new solution that is not the link provided above as it is not fixing the issue.

Please enlighten me with some new ideas.  Thank You.

48 REPLIES 48
HP Recommended

Hi! @Sourpopcicle15, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand that microphone on your laptop keeps muting by itself.

Please try the steps mentioned below.

1. Right click the speaker icon on lower right of your computer. (Near date / time)
2. Select "Recording Devices" from the pop-up options.
3. The "Sound" control pop-up window will display on the "Recording" tab.
4. Select the "Communications" tab.
5. For the question: "When Windows detects communications activity:", answer with: "Do nothing".
6. Select "Apply"

7. Test to be sure your microphone no longer self adjusts. 
8. If the problem is solved, close all pop-ups, enjoy. If problem persists, try the following:

9. Click the "Recording" tab of the "Sound" pop-up window.
10. Right click the used microphone and select "Properties".
11. Select the "Advanced" tab within the new pop-up window.
12. In the "Exclusive Mode" section, uncheck the following option: "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"
13. Click the "Apply" button.

14. Test to be sure your microphone no longer self-adjusts.

Hope this helps

Have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear HP Support,

Having the same issue as Sourpopcicle15.

I followed your 14 steps to the letter.   Issue remains, mic defalts to mute. 

HP Laptop, running Windows 10, issue seems to have appeared fairly recently. 

Any other suggestions?

Cheers

HP Recommended

Hi @AustinCowboy88

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I appreciate you taking the time to share your concern and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the mic is getting mute automatically.

I’d love to help!

Follow the steps in the below document to fix this issue.

http://hp.care/2eOahxN

Let me know how it goes and you have a good day ahead.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problems - my internal microphone continually self-adjusts to mute. This also happens with a headset microphone that plugs into a USB port. I have done all of the steps in the above posts and still have this problem. I have Windows 10 and have installed all of the updates. Looking at the update history, there have been windows updates monthly since September - the last time I know for sure that my microphone was working. Do I need to do a System Restore? Any other ideas? Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Hi @NannaD

Thank you for posting back.

Follow the steps below and check if it helps.

1. Disable enhancements

- Right Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Recording“, Double

click on Microphone.

- Open the Enhancements / Effects Tab.

- Check "Disable All Sound / System Effects“. Click Apply, OK, test the Microphone again.

2. Change format of the Microphone

- Right click on the Volume Icon on the taskbar, select "Recording Devices".

- Double click on Microphone.

- Go to the Advanced Tab, choose any of the 16 bit options on the list.

Let me know how it goes and I hope you have a good day ahead.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried these suggestions in the past, but tried them again per your instructions. There is not change. The microphone automatically mutes. I can even watch the slide move to zero seconds after I move it up! Any other suggestions? Would System Restore help me?

HP Recommended

Hello!  I have the same problem.   the Internal mic keeps muting itself.  I fixed it last month by updating audio driver. But it just recurred today - i am not sure why.   I have done  everything listed in this forum and here : http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03421813#AbT1

This is REALLY frustrating - i have had HP laptops for the last 12 years and this is the first time i am facing this problem.  

Please find a solution fast -  I do a lot of my work calls on my laptop (skype, other conference softwares) and this is really making it difficult for me.

Pav-fan 

HP Recommended

Hello.

I am having the same problem with my microphone muting by itself. I have followed all of the recomended solutions to no avail. I am hoping there is something else that I can try.

Thanks,

GGG

HP Recommended

Hello, @GGG5

Thanks for reaching out! I'd like to help 🙂

Try these solutions to try and fix this issue:

1. Run Audio Troubleshooter:

- Launch Troubleshooting by typing and clicking “Troubleshooting” in   

Windows search.

- Click on "Playing Audio".

- Follow the on-screen instructions.

2. Check if the microphone isn't disabled:

- Click on "Show disconnected devices", and "Show disabled devices".

- Select on Microphone, click on "Properties". If it is disabled, enable it.

- Once enabled, set Microphone as default audio input device.

3. Check if the microphone isn't muted:

- Right-Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Volume Mixer".

- On the Microphone slider, slide it up to 100%.

4. Boost sensitivity of Microphone:

- Right-Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Recording".

- Open the Levels Tab, move the Microphone boost slider up to check audio.

5. Disable enhancements:

- Right Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Recording“, Double

click on Microphone.

- Open the Enhancements / Effects Tab.

- Check "Disable All Sound / System Effects“. Click Apply, OK, test the Microphone again.

6. Change format of the Microphone:

- Go to the Advanced Tab, choose any of the 16-bit options on the list.

That should do the trick. Let me know!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.