Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I can say with unquestioned doubt that the problem IS a "malware" trojan. It is NOT a virus. It is NOT programming of your sound sytems. Thus, MOST virus chekers did NOT catch it on my HP PC DV6. Even though I tried McAfee, Norton. Windows Defender and Windows Security Essentials; NOT one of them after running 10 hours + found the trogan. BUT.

MalwareBytes "FREE" version found it in less than 10 minutes. In fact there were 6 Trojan malicious software that WAS causing my mic to automatically mute itself; AND causing my CPU to be running ALL the time near or at 100%.

So since May 20th, I have had relief; since this malady began last year. NO incidents of Mic muting itself, and when I am not running an application or browsing, my CPU is running at almost "O". Believe it or not., BUT.. there is MORE to the story.  IE:

MalwareByte "FREE" software will NOT vind viruses; NOR does it run automatically. You must run it manually. So here is what HAS worked for me for over 2 months now:

1. You MUST still have a good virus software installed, running in the background with a weekly FULL scan. This is VERY important. I would suggest Windows Security Essentials, believe it or not. But it will NOT find  these kind of Malicious Trojans regardless of what they tout.

2. You should ALSO intall MalwareBytes "FREE"; NOT their premium versions; and you SHOULD run a manual scan daily. It will only take a few minutes to do that. Windows Security Essentials takes over 10 hours on my PC to run a weekly FULL virus scan.

YES you CAN have TWO systems running, IF one is only a Malware checker and the other mostly a virus checker; as long as you do NOT run a scan on BOTH systems at the same time. This is NOT an opinion. It has been confirmed by bonified engineers at several companies who offer this type of software.

I can say I thank Jesus for this blessing. It has been a VERY long time since my CPU has not been running near or at 100%. While on this website  the CPU is averaging 12%. I have not seen this since shortly after I purchased this PC laptop in 2009.

Praise Jesus.

HP Recommended

Great!

HP Recommended

I have this same issue, I have tried all of the fixes mention above, and it continues.  I also reinstalled the driver.  I am running Windows 7.  This is a Probook 450 G2.

There must be a solution.

HP Recommended

mjs0623,

I am saddened that "none of the above" has cured your problem.

I can assure you that MalwareBytes HAS cured the problem for many of us. Mine is running fine for almost 2 months without a single "Mic Mute". I am running Windows Security Essentials full time with a full scan once a week. Also and VERY importantly; I have MalwareBytes "FREE" software that must be run manually. I do that often. So far there has not been a single problem, nor a trojan found. I sincerely wish that you had this success. Because it is hell when your mic does not work.

Pay NO attention to ANY thing these so called experts at HP tell you. They have NOT a clue. NOT a clue! They simply give "off the top of their heads" giving foolish, progammed answers; that mean NOTHING! IN fact I now believe they are not even real people. But "robot" software. Yep! HP should be run out of business for doing this sham to their customers! Oh indeed yes. And their "top brass" inprisoned for life for doing this.

I can only suggest that you either take it to a reputable computer tech; or go back to the original operating system; or sadly, put up with this horrible problem; that soooooooooooooo many are plagued with now.

May Jesus guide you every step of the way dear person.

patdee

HP Recommended

Malwarebytes doesn't solve the issue at least for me. Moreover it tries to quarantine legit programs and can't efficiently quarantine or remove true garbage.

I've contacted Norton AV tech who thoroughly distantly checked my computer and found no security threats removing just some "questionable" apps that are wellknown and are legit.

HP Recommended

So why didn't the "Norton Tech" solve the problem with your Mic Muting itself automaticallyt

I ran Norton AND McAfee And Windows Secuirty Essential AND Windows Defender.

All took forever (over 10 hours) to say, "NOTHING FOUND"!

I finally decided to try Malware Bytes FREE edition (NOT the 30 day "free" edition which found nothing wrong) with NO faith in them at all. Yet 10 minutes, it found 6 "trojans".

The best part is: It Solved the problem of mic muting instantly. It also solved a 6 yr old problem of my CPU running 100% even when there were NO apps launched! That was 2 months ago. I have not had a single occurence with mic muting or CPU 100% since.

I was told by very reliable sources that NONE of the virus "checkers" find most malicious software problems. "Because these problems do NOT do damage to the computer; these malicious software problems simply cause agravating problems; like what this thread is all about. So the virus checkers are worthless when it comes to malicious software!"

My results; considering what I have been through, so far, proves their thesis. IF the time comes when MalwareBytes can not solve the problem on my PC; I will blast them also.

Until such time I shall hold to the findings I have posted since the problem started.

So "what ever floats yer boat"!

HP Recommended

I cannot use my headset mic because dts audio keeps muting it by itself i have tried everything i have a HP Notebook

HP Recommended

This is the same answer as the other thread, doesn't work!  

HP Recommended

You guys really have no answers as it is the same things over and over, need a fix as this is messing my work up.  Or you need to allow me to return this at full price.  I usually get paid to troubkeshoot and you are costing me a bundle...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.