Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 655
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I hope I am posting in the correct place, though I am not even sure that anyone will be able to help me.

I had let someone borrow an old laptop of mine for an indefinite amount of time. I recently got it back and it seems that while this person had it they ran system recovery, made themselves the administrator, & password protected Windows. In addition to them supposedly not remembering the password, the screen is completely busted. I cannot access BIOS to change the boot order so that I could reinstall. I'm hooked up to an external monitor, but nothing appears on it until Windows is loaded. 

Is there any way to work around this short of replacing the screen? I'm not certain that's what I want to do as I do have a newer PC and not a lot of disposable money, but there are some children I know that could get some use out of it. Any help would be appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@egray723

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Sorry, but you're facing a standard limitation of using an external monitor on a laptop -- and it will, as you have guessed, not show anything until the appropriate Windows drivers are loaded, making it unusuable for BIOS-related stuff.

If you want, I can post a link to a download you can use to burn a CD to use to reset the password on your PC, but it might not work with the screen busted.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.