Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I bought three HP EMVY 17in laptops. These were quite expensive and were meant to be used by students in a video editing class.  Needless to say, all three of these computers are out of warranty and overheating.  When they get to a certain point they start to act crazy, cursor jumping around, programs opening, just going nuts mostly.  I will never buy another HP anything. even the printer I have is a huge pain in the (*^^& so that's it. HP SUCKS

HP Recommended

I am a student with 4 years of college papers and notes filed into my hp pavillion. It overheats even with the battery off. It takes care of itself by turning off when overheating but I cant keep it on long enough to save my papers and school notes on a mini hard drive. If I have a term paper to type out, it will also turn itself off. I dont want to lose everything I have on this laptop. It contains four years of hard work. Want can HP do for me.  How about replacing this pavillion with one that does not overheat?  Four years ago I paid what I consider a pretty penny for a starving student. I still have the receipt.  I  also have had to purchase an Hp printer almost every year.  What up with that.  You are a reputable company. The forum has nothing but complaints about the overheating. Can your techs resolve this problem?

HP Recommended

The least they can do is send us all a cooling pad. 

HP Recommended

Every single of these overheating problems can be solved with proper laptop maintenance

HP Recommended

A problem like that can have multiple causes:

• dirty fans = Clean them carefully?
  • bad battery = buy a new one?
  • a lot of startup programs, to much on the drive and a clean install would make your laptop faster!?

Good luck

HP Recommended

What do you consider "proper laptop maintenance"? I have been battling this problem since shortly after purchasing my laptop. I have gone so far as buying a new battery, keeping the laptop elavated on a cooling rack, and taking it back to the store where I bought it for them to do maintenance on it there.  Nothing has helped. Please enlighten me on what you think is the answer to the problem every HP laptop owner I know has had with their product.  

HP Recommended

There are some options listed above. Also, stop buying the cheapest possible models out there, they are made just make a quick buck from the ignorant.

HP Recommended

have a toshiba laptop - bout 5 yrs old - now doing the same thing!!!!  have tried most all suggestions - nothing works.  anythinng else?

by the way, like you, have been HP loyal for over 10 yrs - but seems since they split into 2 areas, the products and the tech support has sucked!!!

bought a desktop 1 1/2 yrs ago - loved it (Elite), worked fine til just before the warranty ran out - returned TWICE for service (harddrive failure), so negotiated a new one - ALREADY HAS BEEN RETURNED FOR SERVICE - SAME PROBLEMS!!!   over 1,000 dollars spent on these computers - I'm broke.

never again will I get another HP, have had printers too, have one that is over 10 yrs old and still works like a charm!  go figure........

also used to get superb tech support whether in or out of warranty - learned a lot from those guys!  now - they dont care, and you definitely cant understand them.  what happened to American made and supported?

oh well, down the drain we're going.........

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.