Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
You can just let the computer running all the time. Once you shut it down you will need to go through the same thing
HP Recommended

This problem just occured to me this morning 10/1/13 on my Pavilion g6-1a30us. than i read the post from rblencoe99 and let me tell you wrapping the laptop with a fleece blanket worked like a charm. gonna buy my self another hp soon with windows 8.

HP Recommended

Better get yourself another fleece blanket then also.

HP Recommended
I need help with my hp laptop
HP Recommended
Try wrapping your computer with power on inside a blanket for 30 minutes, let it get very hot. Open the blanket, switch off the computer, then switch right back on and it should boot up. If not, put it back inside the blanket for a little longer, then try again.
HP Recommended

I freaked out this morning people! Freaked OUT, as I got this same caps lock blinking and a solid wifi orange from my HP dv6-3010 ADM Turion II Dual Core CPU-equipped laptop, while the thing would not post or do much of anything else but blink at me... To make things worse, I did not backup the thing in a few weeks (can I get a 'stupid' from someone?). Freakin' freaking out!

I reached for my tablet and in despair searched for the blinking caps lock... To my joy, this thread was the first to come up, and guess what? 

It worked!

I had to try it twice, as the first time it wasn't quite hot enoug for the cpu. Second time I left it on until the fan was really strugling under the comforter wrap, and the entire qwerty side of the machine was almost too hot to touch (after about 20 minutes). 

So before I do anything else, I am copying all my crap to a brand new 2TB seagate (courtesy of Costco) and will not do anything else until this is done. 

Not sure if this has fixed it permanently. Someone suggested flushing the bios. I'll do that and clean the fans, put new gue on the cpu and heatsink, dust eveything off. If this does it, I'll post again. If not' ditto. If I find any other solution, that too will be shared. A thought of having to wrap the thing every time I need it is a little silly.

I was thinking about getting a new machine, so I might just do that. To all those who have a hate-hate realtionship with their hps, I have to say I never had issues with my 2 machines so far (about 6 years of happy hp-ing), until now - and this is now a 3-year old grandpa of the machine. Aside the regular preload of crap that comes preinstalled, I cleaned it all out the first day after purchase, and then adjuted the boot sequence to avoid non-essentials. Since then, only a CCleaner from time to time, and the thing flies. 

Thanks to everyone who got this thread started and added to. My heart has descendad back from my throat, and this is all thanks to all of you! 

Cheers!

HP Recommended
You can just leave the computer on all the time. That is what I am doing, otherwise one may need to go through wrapping the computer in a blanket again.
HP Recommended

The first solution to fix permanently is reballing the GPU(graphics card), I know U like the blanket solution, this work very well, but the overheat solution may broke o burn components in the short time.

So before heating....remove hard disk, & memory &battery. And connect the wallet charger.

The GPU problem is pretty well known, so try to fix it with reballing, this a technique with an special laser machine.

An special technician have the skills to do this and there is not very expensive. 

Reflowing the vga is another technique cheaper.  That is with solder station.

HP Recommended

I am still waiting on the new CPU... The guy I purchased it from on eBay sent it extra slow (although I paid for expedited) ... Since CPU seems to be the issue (via caps lock blink code - one blink), before I do anything else with BIOS or whatnot, I'll replace the CPU, clean the fan, replace the paste and go from there. I read posts from some people who killed their comps while updating BIOS and HP bios download page warns you a gazillion times to be careful...

I am courious to 4 things:

1. Has anyone here actually fixed their comps via simply just changing the CPU??

2. What is the normal op. temp for the CPU (in my case DV6-3010us? (I got the CPU Thermometer and I'm between 45-49 C - I am keeping the machine on the cooling pad)?

3. Can someone explain why the comp boots up after being wrapped and left to 'cook' for 30-40 minutes? (I got it up and running again yesterday - and am keeping it on a cooling pad, plugged in and will keep it so until the replacement CPU arrives)...

4. Device manager on the machine shows both cores functioning properly, so why does the blinking show CPU failure? I am expecting to replace the CPU and still have the issue...

And lastly, for anyone wanting to see procedures for actually taking apart this particular dv6-3010us, here's a link to a russian guy doing it very methodically and with good video - you can get the gist without knowing russian:

http://youtu.be/xV6DlV4qHNw

Ok. Will update later as to what happens...

Cheers!

HP Recommended

I have a similar problem and discovered a similar work-around.  I was booting to only find two blinking lights and the fan running.  I discovered that I could get my computer to boot by letting it overheat in a towel, then removing the battery, plugging it in a starting it up.  For me though it is just a temporary fix, because if my computer is not hot and it goes into sleep, hibernation, or off there is a good chance I will just get the black screen, two lights, and a whirring fan.  I'm still looking for a more permanent solution.

2009 HP G42 laptop

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.