Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp stream notebook
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)
my daughter has done something to her laptop and now can't use the laptop at all. on powering up screen just says enter administrator password or power on password. she has forgotten the login password. is there a way to recover the computer.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Lesley4

Hold down the power button for 10 seconds to shutdown the notebook.

Start the notebook and at the password prompt type in the unlock code 61631226 and then hit enter.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@Lesley4

At the password screen, hit enter 3 times and you should receive a 'halt code' - post back with this code.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
ok I've done that it now says
system disabled
[ I 74953600]
HP Recommended

@Lesley4

Hold down the power button for 10 seconds to shutdown the notebook.

Start the notebook and at the password prompt type in the unlock code 61631226 and then hit enter.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
ok that worked but now it just keeps coming up with the hp logo.
HP Recommended

@Lesley4

Good to hear.

Regarding the subsequent issue, the first thing I'd suggest is to run a diagnostic on the storage drives as follows.

Shutdown the notebook. 

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Select the Diagnostic Menu option ( f2 ) and run the tests on the Hard Drive.

Post back with any error codes that may be generated.

If the drive test(s) pass, you could try to reset the notebook to its 'Factory Condition' and then set it up from the beginning – if you don’t have your Recovery Media, the notebook will have shipped with a Recovery Partition which can be accessed at boot - ie shutdown the notebook, then start tapping away at f11 as soon as you power on.

A full guide on this can be found on the following link.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00006110#!&AbT1%3Fjumpid=hpr_r1002_usen_link1

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
ok I have tried everything you have suggested but still to no avail
can you suggest anything else
HP Recommended

I turn on my dell laptop and says this computer system #4D4PY3J-595B is protected by a password authentication system, you cannot access the data on this computer with out the correct password 

please type in the administration password and press enter. Have no idea on this password

dell studio 1535 series

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue but my message after 3 enters is.

System disabled

[i 90130513]

HP Recommended

@Jphicks, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

At the password prompt type in the unlock code 25898535 and then hit enter. Check if you are able to login to Windows.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.