Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
ProBook 450 G4
Linux

Greetings ,

Iam going to buy " HP proBook 450 G4" but i was wondering if this model can work with linux ubuntu 16.04 LTS operating system without any kind of errors or pugs .

Please advise.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Which video chip? Intel or nVidia? I might actually suggest Ubuntu 16.10 to better support the newest hardware. I am actually sending this on a 6th gen HP laptop with Intel video running Kubuntu 16.04 which is Ubuntu with the KDE desktop instead of the default Gnome. You don't ever expect Linux to "just work"; it often requires some tweaks but the support community is second to none and I guarantee you can get all the hardware working as long as you have some basic Linux skills or are willing to acquire them.

HP Recommended

Greetings ,
i appreciate your fast reply 
regarding to your answer ,iam talking on the following laptop with the following specs :

HP ProBook 450 G4 Notebook
PC Intel Core i5-7200U (2.5 GHz, up to 3.1 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 3 MB cache, 2 cores) with Intel HD Graphics 620, 15.6 " HD + anti-glare LED-backlit (1920 x 1080), 8 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (1 x 8GB), 1TB 5400 rpm SATA, DVD-Writer, NVIDIA GeForce 930MX (2 GB DDR3 dedicated, switchable), WebCam, WiFi, BT, FPR, 3C Batt., FreeDOS 2.0.

can i install ubuntu v 16.04 LTS on this machine ?

HP Recommended

Yes but the switchable nVidia graphics is giving people fits. But it is not a deal-breaker:

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2016/04/switch-intel-nvidia-graphics-ubuntu-16-04/

You ask me whether YOU can install Ubuntu 16.04LTS on it. I am pretty sure I could but I have been using Linux since about 1999 when it was really hard to do and I have no idea what your Linux experience is or what you imagine is involved with it. It has gotten to the point where it is much easier than it used to be but still not quite like installing Windows. 

There is no hardware in your laptop that cannot ultimately be made to fully operate under Ubuntu 16.04LTS. Hardware that will be a challenge is video, audio and bluetooth and maybe wireless. There are solutions to all but they may be manual solutions requiring command-line work and possible rebuilding of a custom kernel. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.